Knocking or Hard Rattle In Outboard

cell

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Knocking or Hard Rattle In Outboard

Yes sixty four......but the chances of the nut being loose is slim,and you might need an special merc tool to tighten it.If you loosen it up every thing can be pulled out as one piece(drain oil first.).Then you can inspect the clutch dog for damage.

jahn87

Cadet

well apparently i did not have the correct diagram. and as far as there being a clutch dawg, i could not find in in the parts list/diagram. but i took about the lower unit and looked to see how it looked and saw everything was okay. there was some water in the oil but i think thats from the seal behind the prop washer. i put everything back together and re-oiled it and cranked it up and engaged the gears by hand instead of using the unit at the helm to engage the gear and everything sounded good. then when i put the cable on it sounded like it was just shy of going into gear with the fast ticking of the gear clicking in. so maybe my problem is the throttle/shifter side unit thats going bad. i will need to test drive it in the water to determind if thats the problem. my second guess would be a bad bearing somewhere on the driveshaft or near the lower unit.

here is the correct diagram for my motor: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/M...ROPELLER SHAFT)(1.83:1 GEAR RATIO)/parts.html

cell

Petty Officer 1st Class

#55 is your clutch in that last diagram.If you take the whole assembly out I would use the various sealants in the the diagram also_One more thing is a manual would tell you the proper torques to get everything right.

jahn87

Cadet

just tried it out on the water and the noise is still there, ONLY IN FORWARD. in reverse there is no noise. i believe the knocking noise is coming from the midsection near the motor, in the trim tilt area of the midsection. any idea what is there?

jahn87

Cadet

now with that all said...i do have a zinc anode with a fin on it that was very loose. i read in a post that can make a knocking noise and thinking of areodynamics that when in forward the anode would sway as the water is being push against it and would make it go side to side causing a loud knock and being it only happens in the water and as the sound travels its making it sound like its in the upper midsection. and when in reverse it doesnt make the noise cause the anode is being pushed and held to one side which would cause it not to make the sound and also by revving the motor it doesnt make the sound so the drive shaft is working correctly........does any of this sound like the problem? will test this out tomorrow morning since i tightened the anode.

jahn87

Cadet

now with that all said...i do have a zinc anode with a fin on it that was very loose. i read in a post that can make a knocking noise and thinking of areodynamics that when in forward the anode would sway as the water is being push against it and would make it go side to side causing a loud knock and being it only happens in the water and as the sound travels its making it sound like its in the upper midsection. and when in reverse it doesnt make the noise cause the anode is being pushed and held to one side which would cause it not to make the sound and also by revving the motor it doesnt make the sound so the drive shaft is working correctly........does any of this sound like the problem? will test this out tomorrow morning since i tightened the anode.

jahn87

Cadet

nope wasnt the anode. its the forward gear inside the lower unit, had to take it to the shop...all in all about 600 bucks to fix just the gear. online i have found the part for 165.00 or just get a used but in good condition lower unit for about 500 + or -. sooooooo dont know.