1961 mercury 500 50hp

coolguy147

Commander
ok well got my grandfathers boat. well the thing hasnt ran in a long time. ive restored a 1959 10hp evinrude and a 35hp johnson 1959 also. i need some help on the mercurys.

im not a fan of them but this motor would be really nice to fix u. im just worried of not having any parts for the motor? i dont wanna be so close to getting it running and find that theres this really expensive part or not having a part available.

items i need r 2 rebuild kits for the carbs with 2 new floats.
fuel pump diafram.
water impeller. i heard that u need a special tool to take off the cover for the impeller?

what about all the rusty bolts that migth be on there since merucyr used lesser grade steel? also can somebody give me some info on the magneto.

i never worked on a magento before. any articles. or advce on a magneto. how to work on them?

coolguy147

Commander
Re: 1961 mercury 500 50hp

do i need a stator to run the motor? also mine i think is fried cause its leaking and all dried up. u can see black goo that dripped down the motor sometime ago. theres a yellow wire coming from it maybe bit tanish

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Carb parts are available through Mercury and priced reasonable.

It will run without a stator.

There are four(?) small bolts that hold the actual magneto to the drive assy allowing it to drop off it's spline keyed shaft and to be serviced on the bench. Leave the cap and wires connected to engine. Completely remove the points set and file contacts perfectly smooth and aligned with each other, then reassemble and set at .008-.010in

coolguy147

Commander

ya ive done the points before on a evinrude so should be about the same? how were the coils in these motors? need to be replaced and do i need a new coil condosors and point? how many i heard that there is only 1 under the flywheel

i acually have a big manuel type thing it explains everything for some motors from 57-65 i think offf about the same horsepower. really helpful like on torque ratings and such. and just learning

now im was talking about the water pump. i hear that u need a special tool to take the top off. this right?

about buying parts for this motor. i have a bass pro dealer and i believe a mercury part dealer might be one but i know they deal with other companys ( rvinrude suzuki etc)

do i just ask them for a carb kit and give them the year and horsepower?

any websites on where i can get a new rebuild kit from

coolguy147

Commander

ok this weekend ill check spark out on the motor. check compression on it. then check my prop for fishing line. change gear oil and see how it is like water or for metal chunks. then take off the gear case and see how do i change the impeller and check out my bolts since most of them r all rusted

coolguy147

Commander

points 115 dollars!:eek:

see this is y im hesistant about fixing up mercury there parts r just so expensive and bit harder to find then evinrude johnson. did i mention expensive:eek:

the part numbers that they give. the 12-1243452 for example is that a mercury part number and r all those numbers mercury part numbers does sierra make and mercury parts? ? so could i just go to a mercury dealer for like maybe getting it less

spark plugs 4 dollars each!!!!!