1974 mercury 65 hp 3 cyl

madsr

Recruit
Ok new at fixing boat motors changed distributor because wouldn't spark it worked and the thing runs now but have new problem fule is pooring out of bottom carb after running for 10 seconds and floods out should i rebuild fule pump and see if that fixes the problem or should i do both fule pump and carbs all at once since i cant find anyone that is willing to fix since the motor is so old..

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 mercury 65 hp 3 cyl

Normally a flooding carb is due to a bad inlet needle and seat, a bad float or a bad adjustment or some combination of all three. Recommend cleaning and rebuilding the carbs with new gaskets. Inspect the floats and inlet needle and seats, and replace the ones that are worn or deterioated. Readjust float height as specified by the service manual.

Starppy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Those were notorious for bad or stuck floats.

madsr

Recruit

Ok thank you will be taking the carb's and fule pump apart in the morning found dirt all around filter and in pump area will be rebuilding the pump also with the carbs will find out if the float has hole in it or needle valve is worn just got the book that shows me step for step how to fix everything.