1992 115hp Mariner - Starter grinding

samm835

Chief Petty Officer
Took the boat to the dock last night for the first time this year, prior to taking it to the docks we went around and cruised for a short while. We stopped at a cove and kicked back for a while. When I started to start the motor I heard a grinding noise. So I open the cowl and notice the top bolt that held the bushing and spring down on top of the starter had come off. I was able to get the boat started and head to the dock....but my question is if I get a new bolt and put the spring and bushing back on will this fix the grinding noise? The top teeth do NOT look like they were grinding on the flywheel.....any comments would be great....I really do not want to get a new/rebuilt starter, but it sounds like I might need to. Thanks for the help.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 1992 115hp Mariner - Starter grinding

Fortunate for you, the starter drive gear housing bells out beneath the gear to contain a clutch. this large bell shape while making racket when contacting the flywheel, also saved both sets of gear teeth from too much damage.

I don't think that it was planned that way. Once in a while fortune happens to shine on us.

Reassemble with a Grade 5 (or better) bolt, a drop of blue loctite wouldn't be a bad idea but is not absolutely essential.

If the gear or clutch is damaged beyond safe functioning and the starter shaft is NOT, then a new drive gear can be installed without the need for a new starter motor.

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

Charlie...thanks for the info....ok I might be stretching it now but you wouldn't by chance know the dang bolt size and is it metric?

Well I just got from the dock....I took about 3 different sizes that I was thinking it could be, I was close but mine were all standard, and wouldn't fit exactly. So they must be metric, but now it seems I can't even get any power to the starter(doubt the battery went dead) or the whole damn starter is gone now. I guess I am just going to break down and buy the starter. Man gotta love a new boating season!

samm835

Chief Petty Officer

After cooling off and breathing.....and after thinking about this again, could this all be from the starter...or do you think there could be other issues. It now seems as if the starter isn't getting any power like it was before. All other functions work (tilt/trim) warning buzzers. Any thoughts would be helpfull.

drum23

Seaman Apprentice

If the starter isn't getting power it could be a bad soleniod. I went through a similar problem a month or two ago with my boat not starting. The best and cheapest way to find the problem is to follow this link "Outboard Won't Start " in the Engine Troubleshooting FAQ on this site.

I had thought I had a bad starter, but it turned out the solenoid was the only thing wrong. You could remove the starter and take it to a Starter shop and have it tested if you want (they don't usually charge to test it).