1973 Mercury Throttle/Shift cable question

BIGDOG2594

Cadet
I have been working on my engine and I think i have it close, I just need some help on the throttle and shifter cable adjustment.
The engine is a Merecury, 1973, 650, 65 hp outboard. Can anyone tell me which cable is the shifter and which is the throttle? The cables sit on top of each other and I adjusted the bottom cable and it gave me increased power but I lost reverse. The bottom cable is on a slider and engages first when moving the control box arm into gear and then once it goes so far, the top cable engages and that is stopped on the top and bottom by stop bolts. Can anyone help me with the adjustment or identifying the cables?
Thanks so much in advance.

GonzagaCRO

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1973 Mercury Throttle/Shift cable question

On my merc thunderbolt 500 50HP `74. upper cable is throttle and lower one is for neutral gas, that is your question right?

BIGDOG2594

Cadet

Ya I think so. I have information on how to adjust it right, but I was having issues identifying which cable is the throttle and which is the shifter. My directions state that I have to disconnect both cables, then reattach the shifter cable (said to be the shorter cable but both are exactly the same length)(should attach easily) and then slowly move the control arm forward while spinning the propeller. Once the propeller locks in, mark the spot and then do the same thing in reverse. well, when I did, reverse was a whole lot more than the forward. So I assumed that something had to be adjusted cause it was not going into reverse.
So basically, when you engage the from neutral to forward, the throttle cable moves and opens up the gas, once that occurs and it gets to open, the other cable engages and puts it in gear? Making the top cable the shifter cable? Or am I just plain backwards, lol.
Thanks so much for you help though.

cell

Petty Officer 1st Class

Move your controls....the cable end that moves first is the shift cable..

It shifts into gear first then throttles up...