mercury inline fuel line size

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys,
I'm replacing fuel lines filters and primer bulbs on the glassmaster. Engine is the 1976 inline six 115. I have two 12 gallon tanks, the port tank had 5/16 to the selector valve, the starboard tank had some tiny little line looked ~1/4 which I'm sure is way to small. From the selector valve to the engine was 3/8. I'm replacing all three lines, what size should I be use?

daveswaves

Ensign
Re: mercury inline fuel line size

Hey guys,
I'm replacing fuel lines filters and primer bulbs on the glassmaster. Engine is the 1976 inline six 115. I have two 12 gallon tanks, the port tank had 5/16 to the selector valve, the starboard tank had some tiny little line looked ~1/4 which I'm sure is way to small. From the selector valve to the engine was 3/8. I'm replacing all three lines, what size should I be use?
The 1/4 is too small, the 5/16is nominal and the 3/8 ideal. The last thing you want to do is lean out an inline merc.

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer

Ok 3/8" it is. I ran the boat all last summer with the small lines, do you think that was hurting my hole shot at all? I know the fuel pumps on the older inlines aren't the strongest...

rspar

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry slightly different subject but do you think you could get by with one 12 gallon tank or do you need the 24 gallons? Debating new tank size.

rudder56

Recruit

The 1/4 is too small, the 5/16is nominal and the 3/8 ideal. The last thing you want to do is lean out an inline merc.

I'm replacing the fuel lines from my 55 gallon tank to my water separator and my 1976 175 mercury outboard. I replaced the existing 5/16 lines last month along with a new primer bulb. I wanted to add about another 1-2 feet of line because of the way the line sits with the connector. I went back to get more 5/16th line and they didn't have it and told me to replace it with 3/8ths. Doesn't that mean I have to repalce all the fittings from the tank to the connector and do I have to be concerned about the lines to the inline filter on the engine and the carboretors? Does anyone know if there is a recommended length of line between the connector and the primer bulb? Thanks.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

3/8 is the factory spec all the way to the first carb. Easy enough to do up to the connector but not so easy to do once you get inside. The new E-10 rated fuel lines are larger in diameter making it difficult to route them without interfereing with linkage. Your's may be easier than mine but I ended up using a heat gun and an 3/8 inside tubing bender to form the hoses.

As for the primer bulb, nope, but I like mine about a foot away from the engine connector because it's easy to get to. On my 14' I had it right down by my side and for the same reason. I don't have any problems and I can't see any reason why there would be.

rudder56

Recruit

I replaced the lines between the carburetors with the 5/16th and even though it was thicker I was able to get it.I if replace the lines from the tank to the separator to the bulb and then the connector with 3/8th do you think I could leave the 5/16 lines forward of that -to the inline filter and the carburetors or am I setting myself up for a problem?

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I replaced the lines between the carburetors with the 5/16th and even though it was thicker I was able to get it.I if replace the lines from the tank to the separator to the bulb and then the connector with 3/8th do you think I could leave the 5/16 lines forward of that -to the inline filter and the carburetors or am I setting myself up for a problem?
You may be looking at a problem. I'm not completely sure. Here's what mine did. I ran 3/8 all the way to the connector and then 5//16 becuase I couldn't make the 3/8 fit. When running early in the morning the engine would run fine at WOT for about the first ten minutes then, I think it was leaning out on the bottom cylinders. The symptom was bad pinging unless I shut the throttle down to no more than half. Pumping the bulb didn't seem to cure the problem either and it would persists throughout the day.

Of course my first suspicon was timing so, and I thought I found it when I found the wrong stator had been installed (according to CDI). Over time I replaced everything in the ignition system and still had the problem. So, I tore down the engine and went looking for something obscure. Eventually, I did find a sand hole in the block and had it fixed. But, you guessed it, the problem was still there!

Fianlly, I developed this theory, (and that's all it is). The lower carbs were slowly running out of fuel as the lines were not adequate to keep the bowls filled over time. At first I suspected the inline fuel filter/water separator but a direct connect didn't change things. Then I suspected the fuel pump but a full rebuild didn't change things. I finally figured out a way to make 3/8 fuel line fit using a 5/16 o.d. spring shoved into the 3/8 fuel line then heating and forming it to make the tight turns and eventually give the clearance need. I went through 5' of 3/8 fuel hose before I got it right.

The result seems to be that the problem is gone now. A lot of parts and money went into what turned out to be a cheap problem fix.

For the life of me I can't figure out you could positively trouble shoot this exact problem without a glass carb bowl or someones past experience.

So, theres your past experience, take it for what its worth. If you use 5/16 and this problem occurs, first figure out a way to make 3/8 work before you get overwhelmed with other ideas and head down the wrong path like I did.

Temblor

Recruit
I have a 1989 Mercury 115 Inline 6. I have been running 5/16" line from tank to engine for 10+ years without a problem. I am a moderate summer only boater in Seattle.
In fact I have not even had carbs synced or engine serviced in that time, because it starts up and runs beautiful every year.
Am I missing out on some performance? Could it be causing harm?
I need to replace line soon.. but since I have a splitter valve switch, (To alternate between 115 and a trolling back up motor) multiple fittings
and other good lines. I do not know if I want to bother switching it all out if the 1/16" difference is unnecessary?

Last edited: