1979 mariner 90hp lanyard kill switch question

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have read about all of the forums and no one has the same problem i do. I just bought a 1979 or 80 hustler boat with a mariner 90hp the engine is bout the same yr model s/n# 5407819. I have not been successful at getting it to crank or anything, I have done all that I know to do as far as testing with meter. But I have on my throttle control beside the driver,missing a plug or button, inside the control box, I have the female end with 3 male prongs. I thank this would be my lanyard switch, but not sure. but what wires are what? I have a black, brown, and tan or maybe white. when jumping wires dont touch all of them together at once. will spark. but while jumping wires motor will turn over but not crank. i don't want to rewire a new lanyard switch in until i can figure out wiring. i can't get spark plugs to spark, but i know that is what the kil switch is for, just unable to figure out wiring.very long question i know but please help if you can. thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1979 mariner 90hp lanyard kill switch question

Rosser, that plug is likely for the tach. Remove the cowling an dsee if you have a distributor on the port front of the motor. for spark, you need to have +12V ont he red wire on the starboard side of the switchbox, plus +12V from the ignition key on the white wire under the red wire on the switchbox. Jumping wires at random will likely blow your ignition system.

if the motor had four coils and no distributor, it is an ADI type and the orange wire to the switchbox is grunded to kill the spark.

Sounds like you could use a manual.

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes plan to get a manual, been home for a few days found web site thanks for all your help

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have 2 large square boxes on side of motor and 6 smaller ones the smaller one have spark plugs wires coming off of them. not sure what or where to check to see if they are any good . what is the tach and what it is use. can i straight wire it, and does it prevent plugs to spark.

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

what is a tach and how can i jump it if button is missing?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK, Those 2 larger boxes are your switchboxes and the 6 smaller boxes are coils. You have ADI ignition. The orange wire connected to your switchboxes kills the spark, when it is grounded. Turn the ign key to the run position, and test the orange wire to see if it is still grounded. If it is, your ign key switch is likely bad. If not, something else is wrong. Dolphinmarineservices.com has a troubleshooting procedure for your ignition.

Tach is an abreviation for tachometer, which is a device that tells you how fast the motor is running.

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

so they button that is missing on my controls and throttle up by the driver set is what a kill or lanyard, so how can i bypass it or jump it to see if that is what is keeping my engine from starting. what wires black white and brown need to come together for it to work??

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Rosser, The controls of that era did not have a kill switch or lanyard. The plug on your control is for a tachometer connection. The only way to kill the ignition is to turn the key switch off.

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok, thanks that what i needed to know thanks for all your help.