Optimax warning buzzer?

bobec

Cadet
I have a question about a 2000 opti. 135 saltwater. The warning buzzer went off after running motor for half an hour. solid constant beep. Then took me down to idle. I do not have warning lights just audible buzzer. So far the checks i have done the float in the tank on the motor shows it is bad. But as far as i can get out of my manual it should be 4 beeps and off 2 min. then 4 more beeps. The float switch tests good. And my merc. dealer says he is waiting on 2 tanks for boats at his place now. It must be a common problem.I was at the lake 2 weeks ago and had no problems for 2 hours. And then solid beep i stpped the motor and removed the switch on the motor tank and then i got 4 beeps then off 2 min. What do you think do i have a bad float and and over heating problem.Last weekend i replaced the tank and float and switch.i have not had it to the water yet. i have another question about water pressure i do not have a guage but my manual says i have a hose on my motor that is not used. is it the small grey tube with a red stem in the end? it comes from the motor and ends in the well next to the fuel bulb. THANKS!!

egbert

Cadet
Re: Optimax warning buzzer?

I have an 2002 Optimax 150 saltwater series. It has the smartcraft gauges also. I have been having an overheat problem at around 2400 rpm, just pushing alot of water but not on a plane. The alarm sounds continuous and the throttle gets automatically knocked back. The gauge shows an overheat condition(the alarm sounds around 175F and the throttle back just after, at around 180F). Its not a normal operating rpm for me so Im slowly working out the problem....but im sure your alarm is an overheat alarm.

Ive replaced the thermostats at a mechanics suggestion.....next ill try the impeller....then ive been reading about a screen somewhere in the lower end of the block that possibly gets plugged, but im unsure of this.

bobec

Cadet

If you would I would like to know the outcome. Did the thermostats help or is that why you are trying the waterpump next? Thanks for the input! It all helps.

egbert

Cadet

Search for a posting by hkeiner , he has a good trouble shooting page from a manual.

I will try the thermostats first and let you know, I did check my impeller and it looks really good so I didn't change it for now.

bobec

Cadet

I checked my water pressure and even though I had A good tell tale my pressure was zero. I changed the water pump and then had 1.5 psi at idle and 6 psi at 1000 rpms. I also cleaned the screen from the block that goes to the air pump. This seems to have cured my problem. I took it out today and it ran great. I ran brookville lake from one end to the other. I was on the water for 5 hours with no problems. So far so good!!

egbert

Cadet

Where is the screen located? This sounds like it may help me too.

Cheers

bobec

Cadet

It is located on the port side of the motor . You will have to remove the lower cowl. 4 bolts not as hard as it sounds with a long 1/4'' drive extention and a good swivel. The fitting itself is plastic so be careful I used A 6 pt. socket after you remove the zip tie and the hose. Standing on the port side facing the motor it is the one on the right slightly above the one on the left. But I think my problem was more my waterpump impeller than the screen but the screen did have some moss in it but it was not completely plugged up by any means. My impeller looked good to the eye also but I had almost no pressure. I replaced the impeller and it was like night and day. My pressure went from 0 to 1.5 psi. at idle and 0 to 6 psi. at 1000 rpms. Hope this helps. Any more questions let me know and I will try to help.