1997- Mariner 135 - Water pump problem

sullmate

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I changed the water pump, yesterday. I had the both the shifter and the shift shaft in neutral when I removed the lower unit. When finished and reinstalled the lower unit, the prop spun both ways, this seemed normal as it was in neutral. I noticed that the side console shifter seemed to shift too easily, (engine still not running). I put the shifter in forward ( the engine was not running). I tried to spin the prop. It is locked, it does not move. I put the shifter in neutral and the prop spins easily both ways. Also when I tried reverse, the prop would not rotate, still locked.
I need advice. I guess I am going to have to take the lower unit off again. (Uggh)
I guess the shift rod in not shifting or is not properly engaging the cam.
Please advise before I proceed.
Sullmate.
P.S. I have replaced the water pump before, but have not had this problem.
I have not started this engine this year, as the boat is in a garage, and the weather is just starting to get better in Ct.

bullbat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1997- Mariner 135 - Water pump problem

so whats the problem when the foot is in gear its not goin to rotate

sullmate

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I believe when its put in gear, ( engine not running)you should be able to turn the prop in one direction either forward or backwards and hear a ratcheting sound.
When I take the boat out of the garage and start it I will know it the lower unit is engaged properly.
The engine will crank so I know it is in neutral. I am trying to get opinions as to whether I did something wrong and avoid taking the lower unit off again.

Sullmate

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You are correct. The prop will rachet in forward. it should ratchet while you turn it clockwise

sullmate

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Chris,
What do you suggest I do? I guess the cam on the shift rod is not properly engaged. I then must take off the lower unit, again. I don't think it matters what gear the motor is in as long as both the shift rod and the shifter are in the same gear.
Your thoughts,
Sullmate

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I always use neutral for the LU and control. Neutral has a positive detent on the gearcase and it will stay there and not move. You might need to rock the throttle handle to line up the shift shafts.