1970 7.5HP Mercury- Cracked fuel pump cover

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceno

Cadet
Hi,
Could only keep engine going by sqeezing primer. On inspection found crack in non-metalic fuel pump cover (paxolin, I think) where vacuum inlet goes into pump. The cover is no longer available, has anyone had any luck running super-glue into a crack like this? or covering in epoxy resin? Maybe have to fit another type of pump?Any other ideas would be very welcome.

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1970 7.5HP Mercury- Cracked fuel pump cover

I don't think there is any adhesive that will glue that type of material on a permanent basis. Your best bet will be to check marinas for a donor rngine and in the process remember that the small Mercury engines used 2 or 3 different pumps and anyone of them will work for you.

Hubilizer

Recruit
Re: 1970 7.5HP Mercury- Cracked fuel pump cover

If you haven't found something already, i found a place online where you can buy a plastic fuel pump cover, as well as many other parts for this particular outboard. Here is the website http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/mercury/serial/75/+52325/444-8

The part you need is is number 7 on the list. I had this same problem and tried JB weld to seal the crack, this worked to start it, but as soon as a put it in gear and increased the throttle, it would stall and i would have to decrease it again to keep it running. I ordered a new cover and i hope it will solve my problem. Best of Luck!!!

Big Gee

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Since this thread is so old, it will probably get closed as inactive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.