regal rush/mercury SPORT JET 175 XR2 Q!

vprgtsr001

Cadet
I bought a regal rush xr2 with the merc sport jet 175 and have a question about the choke. I can push the key in when i turn it, on my bayliner this activates the choke except on the merc i dont hear the choke clicking. The motor starts regardless but is it a manual choke or automatic? I'm curious as to whether i should look into this.

havasuboatman

Ensign
Re: regal rush/mercury SPORT JET 175 XR2 Q!

on some Merc models, when you push in the key it doesnt actually chock the engine by cutting down the air flow into the carburator(s). Instead it accuates an enricher valve which dumps more fuel into the intake right behind the carbs. You can't always hear the clicking noise you are used to hearing.

pahchay

Cadet

With the 175Xr2, the ignition comes with a button that says "Push to choke", but it doesn't actually do anything. The priming system (Turnkey start) on the 175 looks at engine temperature and primes accordingly. It actually primes once when you turn the ignition on if it's cold. It also advances the mixture until the temperature comes up. I've carefully traced out the wiring on mine, and verified that the push button (which closes red to yellow/blk) goes into the wiring harness, but doesn't land anywhere on the engine. Hope this helps. I have a link to a cheap PDF version of the owners manual that explains in more detail.
http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/9088106-mercury-mariner-175xr2-sport-jet-service-manual

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Pahchay is 110% correct!!!!!!

M

Maxz695

50% is better than 5 %