Mercury 1958 motor value

skywatcher816

Recruit
I would like to know the appraisal value of 1958 mercury mark 75 marathon 6 outboard motor, no controls, excellent original condition.

OldMercsRule

Captain
Re: Mercury 1958 motor value

Very VERY difficult to say, that is why no one has even tried! ;)

If you can locate a set of corntrols (at a very reasonable price that can be painted up to look REAL good), and it, (the 1958 engine) looks real good, (a fresh water low hour virgin with pristine wiring, no leak fuel lines, origional paint, chrome and decals).

If it has even compression North of 100 psi and starts, idles and shifts properly (which you can demonstrate to any prospective buyer with those corntrols I spoke of above), you will get the price a motivated buyer who restors cream puffs will pay. Maybe $500 + or - on a good day.

You may have even have better luck if ya pick up an old 1958 flat bottom hull with trailer, (at a dirt cheap price, better yet if it has those 1958 Merc corntrols), and clean n' make 'er look REAL sweet n' sell the whole package to someone who wants ta style in those 1958 digs. Maybe $1500 + or - on a good day.

That all said, (as I'm talkin' about some cornsiderable work, [n' a few dollars] ta find the stuff n' more work n' [a few more dollars] to put 'er all together), which is not worth it if ya don't like to do that kinda stuff anyhoooooo, (which some of us actually like to do, BTW). The unverifable engine, that someone *claims is in "excellent origional corndition", "origional" bein' only 51 years ago, (has that *claim ya made got some sorta warranty with said *claim, .........hmmmmmmm??????) w/o corntrols is worth maybe $100 + or - on a good day.

Hope me overpriced $.02 helps yer perspective. JR