Mercury V6 Poppet valve Replacement

gss036

Commander
Re: Mercury V6 Poppet valve Replacement

Depends on what year of engine. Usually need to drop the lower starboard part of the cowling and then remove the small 3/8? bolts, disconnect the hose. Some have round covers, other the figure 8 style.

marksmanking

Recruit

Could someone expand on the poppet valve replacement? My engine is 1996 150 Merc Offshore on a 21' WA cuddy. Boat out of commission since Hurricane Katrina in 2005(dealing with 2 flooded houses.) Had pump replaced, replaced t-stats, and still not happy with pee stream. Been reading the forums and thinking poppet valve may be stuck open not allowing pressure to build up at idle. I told my supplier I wanted to replace poppet valve and he sold me 2 gaskets and rubber diaphram with small hole in middle. Are these all the parts I need? Read where it's best to take off lower cowling. It looks like to attached to motor mounts. Do they just slide apart? Any help, instructions would be appreciated.

gss036

Commander

It is simple to take off the lower cowling, just remove the screws and make sure you can lift the hoses out of the rubber thing where they go through the front of the cowling, nothing to disconnect.
The parts you describe are about it, there is a stainless washer and spring. I would buy every thing except the cover and put in all new. Be careful not to let the thimble think fall into the block, it fits over the hole. Thimble is not the proper name but you get they idea. That works as a seat for the poppet, so put in a new one.
The poppet just lets excess water dump into the exhaust at about 3000 rpm. I would install a water pressure gauge if it were mine, I think they are the most useful thing you can have on an outboard engine.