Mercury 75 spark plug

txb013

Recruit
Hi, I just recently purchased a Mercury 75 (7.5hp) outboard motor from one of my dad's friends. It has been setting on a flat bottom for about a year or so now and when I fired it up it didn't pump water very well. So I replaced the impeller and now it pumps fine. We also had to replace the gas line on the inside of the motor because it was leaking. Now when I run it, it takes more than it should to get it started and refuses to idle. I'm thinking I need to replace the spark plug among other things. So could anyone tell me what kind of spark plug I need? The serial number is 2634501 and the front has a shiny part that says "lightning ignition". Also I read that I might have something wrong with my fuel pump diaphragm. Should I try to replace this too? if so where can I get the parts I need? thanks!

Laddies

Banned
Re: Mercury 75 spark plug

It sounds more like the new fuel has cut some crude lose and the carb need to be cleaned but the plugs are L78V

txb013

Recruit

alright i'll give that a shot when next time im home (at college right now). Another thing i just remembered. When i had it warmed up pretty good and tried to get it to idle, it would backfire quite a bit, and then die shortly if not immediately after. Still sound like a carburetor problem?

Laddies

Banned

The backfiring through the carb at idle is due to a lean condition and probably the dirt in the carb.

txb013

Recruit

I talked to my dad and he said that when I take apart the carb to clean it i should have rubber gaskets and diaphragms to replace when i clean it. Is this true? where can i get these and what kind do i need? thanx!