1995 15 hp Mercury cooling system

jimbo6651

Recruit
I have a "95 15hp merc. 2 stroke. The water flow from overboard line is intermittent.
Starts weak, then full flow then back to weak and then stops. Then starts again.

Does this engine have a thermostat? And if so, can it be removed and the engine run with out it.

Engine never used in cold weather.

Thanks.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 1995 15 hp Mercury cooling system

Yes you have a thermostat and no you shouldn't run without it. Its needed for your motor to tun efficiently. Also when is the last time you replaced your impeller?

Laddies

Banned

All of bhiles post and the reason you have a pulse in the telltale is the thermostat opening and closing. Most stats have a notch in them so they don't stop the flow completely

jimbo6651

Recruit

Yes you have a thermostat and no you shouldn't run without it. Its needed for your motor to tun efficiently. Also when is the last time you replaced your impeller?

All of bhiles post and the reason you have a pulse in the telltale is the thermostat opening and closing. Most stats have a notch in them so they don't stop the flow completely

Thanks for the replies.

The motor is actually a friends. I have a couple of earlier model motors and he ask me if I could change the impeller on this one. He bought it used and wanted to put in a impeller before he began using it. Which I did with no problems. When I saw the intermittent stream and followed the line to the head port, I figured there must be a thermostat. Just wanted some verification.

Yes a manual would be a good investment and I am going suggest that he purchase one.

craigen

Recruit

additional to above.
Suppose the mechanic in Bequia throws away the thermostat and says you don't need it. Suppose it's Christmas/New Years and you won't be able to get a replacement for several weeks
What sort of work around is there?
Block the thermostat hole with a small hole washer?
What then is the purpose of the small oblong chamber beside the thermostat housing and why does it have a channel to the side of the thermostat?
So far my work arounds produce steam from the exit spout at any speed above idle.