Mariner 115 solenoid or starter problem.

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an inline 6 cylinder Mariner 115.

I used the boat over 30 times last year without issue. The boat has been in the garage for about 4 months with no use.

I decided to charge the battery and fire her up as i was thinking about going fishing.

So with a fully charged battery (actually tried 2 different batteries just to make sure it wasnt a bad battery.), brand new terminal connectors to ensure a good connection i turn the key and all i hear is "CLICK". Not multiple clicks like a car with a dead battery just one click and nothing happened...

I got a volt meter and checked the solenoid and it is getting power.

I called a few places and they said it was probably the solenoid...so i went and picked one up... heck for 23 bucks it was worth a shot.

I just installed the new solenoid and nothing changes....

I am at a loss and cant afford to pay someone $75 per hour to track down the issue plus cost of repair.... so i turn to you guys here at iboats for some advice and wisdom.

Please help!! if you need more info i will be checking this every few minutes...

Thanks to all that can help!!

Laddies

Banned
Re: Mariner 115 solenoid or starter problem.

If you have a voltmeter hook it on the input post on the starter and see that you have voltage then the starters engaged if you do the starter is bad.

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The below guide is for a Merc 150, but the troubleshooting steps would still pretty much apply to your motor too. Systematic troubleshooting is often much quicker and cheaper than replacing parts on a hunch. A voltmeter/ohmmeter (and perhaps also a jumper cable) is pretty much all you need.

Attachments

• StarterTroubleshooting_1.jpg
    StarterTroubleshooting_1.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 0
  • StarterTroubleshooting_2.jpg
    StarterTroubleshooting_2.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 0
  • StarterTroubleshooting_3.jpg
    StarterTroubleshooting_3.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 0

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have a voltmeter hook it on the input post on the starter and see that you have voltage then the starters engaged if you do the starter is bad.
im a newb with outboards... where is the input post located?

Laddies

Banned

Where the wire from the solonoid attaches. If you are going to try to do service work you will save yourself alot of grief with a OEM service manual,

Maine Ducker

Cadet

I just purchased a boat with a 70hp Merc and had the same problem. Just a click from the solenoid and everything tested fine. After much aggravation I finally figured out what was going on. Moisture inside the starter. I figured this out after pulling the starter out and bringing it inside for a day to warm up. After replacing it she spun freely and fired up no problem. Next day same problem again. Even though the boat is in the garage it still gets cold and even though you could turn the starter by hand it was still frozen inside. I ended up replacing the starter and now it's fine. Check Ebay for starters.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

My neighbor was an electric motor rebuilder. After my boat sunk, he washed up my starter and it tested shorted. He then put in a warm (200*) oven for 1.5 hours to dry up the interior of the coils. The starter was fine after that.

davidf5252

Petty Officer 2nd Class

great advice... i will try this over the next couple of days...