What Racor Fuel/Water Separator

DTL504

Seaman Apprentice
I need to know what is the right GPH Racor fuel filter/water separator for my 2003 Mercury 150HP XL SWB? The current separator is rusted from being mounted in the blige.
Here are my choices:

Basic Models: Max. Flow Rate:

120R-RAC-01 30 GPH / 114 LPH

320R-RAC-01 60 GPH / 227 LPH
320R-RAC-02

660R-RAC-01 90 GPH / 340 LPH
660R-RAC-02

3120R-RAC-32 120 GPH / 454 LPH

Here is the link where this info come from:

http://www.maesco.com/products/racor/r_gas/r_gas_spec/r_gas_spec.html

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What Racor Fuel/Water Separator

First step is to determine if your fuel lines are 1/4, or 3/8.

That narrows done your list, to several...at the most!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Do yourself a favor. Buy a Mueller and Tempo make Stainless steel filter head.

The Racor filter head is proprietary. You can only use Racor replacement filters on it. Mueller and Tempo both make Stainless steel filter heads which have industry standard filter threads. That way you can use variety of manufactures? filters......including Racor. ;)

As far as the sizing, you?re running a 150 HP motor so figure 15-16 GPH maximum. A filter rated ay 30 gph is sufficient for your application.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Fuel Lines are 3/8......

The 660R matches your fuel line.

Ding has a good point, though...there are great units out there, that won't set you back nearly as much. Especially when you go to replace the filter element...compare the Racor prices, to some of the others!

j_martin

Admiral

That engine is real sensitive to poor fuel delivery, as in burning down in a heartbeat if starved.

The filters are rated when brand new, no dirt or water in it. You need some overhead for safety and longevity.

I would run a 320--- Racor, 60 GPH, 01 or 02 depending on where you mount it. Plastic see through bottom for outside the bilge, metal can't see in bottom for inside the bilge to meet USCG specs.

I run it, after lots of fuel troubles. I'm delighted with the performance.

hope it helps
John

Coloradolakeboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would run a 320--- Racor, 60 GPH, 01 or 02 depending on where you mount it. Plastic see through bottom for outside the bilge, metal can't see in bottom for inside the bilge to meet USCG specs.

hope it helps
John

Do you have to put a fuel shut-off between the tank and the filter to drain the bowl? How about a check valve to prevent fuel drain back into the tank?

j_martin

Admiral

Do you have to put a fuel shut-off between the tank and the filter to drain the bowl? How about a check valve to prevent fuel drain back into the tank?

There's a petcock on the bottom. You just drain the water if any. The check valves in the primer bulb seem to be adequate.

Mine is mounted high, so if anything it will flow back to the tank.

hope it helps
john

Coloradolakeboy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks John, my filter location would be higher than the tank. Do you also use a separate fuel filter? If so, does it go before or after the water separator? All I have currently is the screen on the fuel pump. Thanks again.
Rob

sschefer

Rear Admiral

For outboards you need the filter with the 1" spin on. They've changed the design and now have a longer nipple on the head to prevent cavitation inside the filter. The number you want is the 320R-RAC-01 with the S3227 10 micron filter.

I switched to the Merc recommended Quicksilver 25 micron Fuel/Water separating filter when I had problems with the Racor and cavitation but they have that fixed now.

I'm not sure you need a 10 micron filter. I'm beginning to think its just buzz to make you think you're getting something better and sell product. Can't hurt if it flows enough fuel but why pay more when you don't have to.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

That engine is real sensitive to poor fuel delivery, as in burning down in a heartbeat if starved.

The filters are rated when brand new, no dirt or water in it. You need some overhead for safety and longevity.

hope it helps
John

BTW, the Moeller filter does 85 gallons per hour at 3" of mercury. Filters down to 10 microns. More than enough flow for even bigger motors than 150 hp. Available in both composite head and stainless steel. 3/8" fittings.

I put the Moeller Clearwater filter in my boat with the composite head. Love the clear site bowl and bottom water drain. And there are a number of after market filters that will fit in a pinch.

I have Racor in the other boat, but I switched to Moeller when I saw the price increase in Racor filters.

http://www.moellermarine.com/aftermarket/fuel_systems/fuel_filters/

j_martin

Admiral

Thanks John, my filter location would be higher than the tank. Do you also use a separate fuel filter? If so, does it go before or after the water separator? All I have currently is the screen on the fuel pump. Thanks again.
Rob

It's a fuel filter also. Plenty adequate.

I change the filter about once per year. I carry a dried out used filter on the boat just in case I get sunk by a barge wake or something and get some river in the fuel.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

So is it a bad idea, if you have 3/8" fuel line. But your separator head has 1/4" input/output holes and use a 3/8" adapter?

Need to know quick because I just placed an order and didnt see this detail....

j_martin

Admiral

So is it a bad idea, if you have 3/8" fuel line. But your separator head has 1/4" input/output holes and use a 3/8" adapter?

Nowhere, either on this thread or the other you started on this topic have you said what engine you're fueling, or any other circumstances that might be important.

I have a hunch, however, that you screwed up.

hope it helps
john

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

No one can predict if this will actually be an issue with your engine...but you can predict that if there is a fuel starvation issue that the fuel inline reduction will be the first suspect!

If this were mine, I would not introduce a 1/4" line into my OEM 3/8" setup.

Happy boating!