Installed new Racor separator, trouble with cold start

David Stone

Cadet
Help!!!! Never had a starting problem, but I just install a new racor filter/water separator on my 1995 Mercury 115hp. From the install I have had trouble with the cold start. I live in Florida, so cold weather is not an issue. The motor turns over but no combustion. A little shot of carb cleaner and presto, starts and runs fine. Any starts after that have no issues, turn key and motor fires. Same story last 3 times out. I squeeze the bulb nice and firm, obviously getting gas as it starts and runs fine and subsequent starts are quick. Any suggestions???

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Installed new Racor separator, trouble with cold start

I would guess that the new filter has nothing to do with your problem (since you are able to squeeze the bulb hard) and that the likely problem is the choke/fuel enrichener not working properly (since the motor start OK with a shot of spray). Perhaps it is just a coincidence that your problem started around the same time as the filter install.

By the way, carb spray is not a good starting spray for a 2 stroke. It does not have any lubrication. Use 50:1 fuel:eek:il mix spray instead.

David Stone

Cadet

Thanks for taking the time to look at the post! I have twin tanks mounted in the bow of my 17' Action Craft. The original owner put bulbs on both lines near the tanks to help send the fuel along. I always squeeze those first, nice and firm, to send the fuel to the rear. In the stern, about 24" of hose before the motor I replaced my Mercury/Quick Silver separator with a Racor (the one with the clear bowl beneath the fuel filter). I have fuel in the bottom of the bowl, I put oil on the "O" ring when screwing in the filter. I have about 6" of fuel line and then another bulb (which I squeeze firm) then 18" of fuel line running into the engine.

Before changing out the separator, I would squeeze the three bulbs, in sequence, insuring good gas pressure, turn the key to start the engine turning over and then press the key in once, quickly to add a little choke and presto, the engine fires and off I'd go. Now I still follow the same steps but the engine won't fire. Not getting enough gas?? I don't know. However, with a small shot of highly flamable carb cleaner into one of the cylinders thru the air intake, it starts right up. After that, I can run to my favorite flat fish for 1-2 hours and turn the key and she starts right up, no choke on hassle. That's why I am wandering if there is something about the Racor filter that I am missing. Once running, no misses, spits or sputters, so there seems to be good fuel flow. It is certainly not cold weather related as it is still in the 70's here in Florida . Hope this rather lengthy explanation helps you help me. Also, thanks for the heads up regarding the shot of carb cleaner! Confused and frustrated. :confused::(

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would still suggest that you check the enrichener to confirm that it is working OK. If the enrichener is not working OK, the motor will be hard to start even in warmer weather. The below attached guide may help.

I can not imagine how the Racor filter would cause a starting problem (by restricting flow) since it passess enough fuel to allow you to run the motor just fine after it starts. Just my thoughts...

Attachments

• Enrichener Valve Troubleshooting.jpg
    Enrichener Valve Troubleshooting.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0

David Stone

Cadet

Thank you for the Enrichener Value test. I'll check it out tommorrow. I also wander if having the extra bulbs near the twin bow tanks would be restricting the flow of gas so the new separator doesn't pull fuel properly? However, if the rear bulb gets tight and the motor runs fine at full RPM, I guess it is getting plenty of gas.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I am pretty sure that the Racor filter is 10 micron...pretty fine, and more restrictive.

My guess is that the Mercury/Quicksilver filter element was the more common 20+ micron...which has always done the job for years, but fell 'victim' to the new 'kid on the block (10 micron)!

Sometimes newer...ain't really, better.

gss036

Commander

I would suggest a little longer on holding the key in until it starts. Just a bump might not supply enough fuel. Check your plugs, they might need cleaned or changed.
I don't think the extra primer bulbs would interfear with fuel flow if they are laying horizonal.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

did you fill the filter canister with fuel when you installed it, if not it could have air in it.

also, NEVER spray anything except premixed fuel into a carb. or approved stuff, like seafoam. these thing have no lubricant, and strip the lubricant off the internals of the engine. some burn too hot, and can burn a hole in a piston.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The first thing to do is do a compression test anytime you have trouble.Any time you need starting fluid it indicates a bigger problem.How old are the plugs?Old fuel?Water in the system?Changing filter shouldn't make a difference unless there is an air leak.Jerry

Expidia

Commander

Why not just pull the 10 micron filter out, fill the bowl and then try and start it cold. At least you will isolate the issue and eliminate the finer filter causing your issue. After it starts put it back and get a 20 micron filter for a replacement.