Installing a Quicksilver control to a Mercury 500 Thunderbolt

grew153owner

Cadet
I need to install a quicksilver control on my 67 thunderbolt which had only 7 wires, and the quicksilver has 11 wires. I can eliminate 3 wires (blue/white, green/white, and purple white) which operate the trim which I do not have. I can also eliminate the tan/blue on the new control which is a warning horn. I just want the ignition, choke, and off to function.

The colors on the original control were black, white, red, tan, yellow, grey, and brown.

The colors on the new control are black, red, black/yellow, purple, yellow/red, grey, and yellow/black.

If anyone can tell me which wire on the new control connects to what color on the old control it would help greatly.

Thanks

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Installing a Quicksilver control to a Mercury 500 Thunderbolt

Hello.. The control you have is for a adi ignition system and the engine has a thunderbolt ignition.The only way to make this work is to :(A) buy a harness adapter, part # 84-93669a2 and the emergency stop switch will not work on box. (B) Install old style key switch in box and rewire it to your engine.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The Merc Controls were the same for the ADI and battery-powered CDI ignitions. What you need is to crossconnect the new control the the motor wiring harness in the boat.

Red (+12VDC) goes to red and black (ground) to black;

White on the motor is power to the ignition and should connect to the purple wire on the control.

yellow on the motor is starter solenoid. That probably connects to the yellow/red wire, but you need to verify it.

Brown on the motor is tach signal, which connects to the grey wire on the control.

Grey on the motor is electric choke solenoid. I am not sure what that connects to on the control. You need to push the choke button and see what wire gets +12VDC.

Tan wire on the motor might be the ignition killer wire and might be unused. Sometimes the killer wire is salmon colored or orange, but since you do not have this color, it might be tan. If it is the killer wire, it will be grounded when the ignition is turned off. Connect it to the Black/yellow wire of the new control.

grew153owner

Cadet

Thank you, that helps a lot. I'll try to wire it up this weekend and see what happens. I still have the old thunderbolt console but it did not have any cables on it, would it be easier to take the cables off the quicksilver and install them on the old controller. Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

If the old Mercontrol is servicable, I would put the throttle and shift cables onto it and avoid all that crimping, soldering and insulating.

ryvesy

Cadet

Ive got the same problem cant get a spark
any ideas