Mercury 9.9 hp ,not pumping water

loosenut

Recruit
I traded for a mercury 9.9 hp to go on my old flat bottom .I headed down the river and it quit running about 200 yards out.I got to looking the motor over ,and found dirt in the P hole.I guess it was the work of a dirt dobber.I trolled back to the launch and started it back up long enough to shoot it back on the trailer. I unstoped the P hole and ran it a few seconds in a 55 gal. drum of water and it still wont pump . I blew the line out and still no water came out.Im guessing the impeller is bad ,but I need some imformation on where to start and how to get to the impeller .I also need to know witch impeller to buy. 9.9 Mercury S/N OB172064.

Thanks,, Loosenut

Laddies

Banned
Re: Mercury 9.9 hp ,not pumping water

Start the job with a manual, it will save you time and money.

loosenut

Recruit
how do I unhook gear shift linkage on 9.9 merc.

how do I unhook gear shift linkage on 9.9 merc.

can someone tell me the best way to unhook shifter linkage when removing lower unit on 9.9 merc.

Laddies

Banned

Look under the port side of the carb, there will be a screw and some have a latch pin.

loosenut

Recruit
thanks.. I got the lower unit off but .

thanks.. I got the lower unit off but .

the impeller looks new ,but it looks to big for its housing .looks like someone folded the rubber blades back to get it in the housing .there is no key or anything holding the impeller in place on the shaft and I dont see how the impeller can turn ,especialy with the blades mashed against the housing. (WRONG IMPELLER MABEY?)

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

Impellers fit tight so i'm sure that is the right one. Since it was pumping water before you probably lost the key when you removed it. You need to find the old key or buy another one.
Since you have the lower unit off stick a garden hose with a jet nozzle in the water pick up tube and see if you can get water to shoot out the pee hole.