Mercury XR2 150 stalls when idling

boatin-on-cherokee

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Mercury XR2 150 and I went out this evening and the motor was very hard to start......it would idle just fine but once I put it in gear it would die. At times, it would just crank and not fire, and then finally it would start. It took a while to get it going, but I am concerned about it as I am fishing winter tournaments regularly and would hate it if I was out in about 20 degree weather and it would not start.

Can someone please give me some advice on where to start troubleshooting? I have replaced the stator about 3 weeks ago, and also put a rebuilt starter on it about 1 week ago. I have taken all of the connections loose and cleaned them to ensure that I am getting a good connection.

What am I possibly missing?

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury XR2 150 stalls when idling

any solenoids? distributor? spark plugs? fuel?

boatin-on-cherokee

Seaman Apprentice

checked fire.....is good.......checked fuel filter.....looks ok......now sure where exactly the selonoid is located.....

can u assist?

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

i know there is one for the starter. and if its acting up, it wont start when it should. (i doubt thats your problem though) it was just an idea.

my only guess is that its fuel related. it must not be getting enough. that is, if its having problems when you put it in gear...

boatin-on-cherokee

Seaman Apprentice

the filter? or would you think it may be the pump? Correct me if I am wrong, but is the fuel pump directly behind the filter?

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

well, how long ago did you change the filter? that couldnt hurt to do. but i would lean more towards the pump. maybe someone with more experience can chime in....

James R

Commander

Sounds like the primer sol' is not working. You will find it on the starboard front of the motor above the fuel pump. It has one tube in and one tube out. When you start the motor you would normally push the key in as you turn it. Holding the key in keeps the primer activated to richen the mixture for start up. If this function is not working then you will not start easily. Need to find which tube is the output tube and disconnect it. Try the starting system to check that fuel does come from the Solenoid. If not then you have an electrical problem.

James R

Commander

Sorry. Missed the point about stalling. My first reply addresses the starting however on reflection, when were the carbs last serviced?

boatin-on-cherokee

Seaman Apprentice

I have no idea about service on the carbs.......when the stator was replaced the mech. told me I should have that done, his opinion was that had never been cleaned......."that is what he said".......

Someone else told me it might be the idling set too low......coulod this be something to check? And if so, where and how do I adjust?

boatin-on-cherokee

Seaman Apprentice

Could someone please tell me where to adjust the idle? A,B or C????

linkage.jpg

gss036

Commander

You really don't want to mess with any of those things unless you have an OEM manual and know how to do a link and syn. Do you have a tach on the motor, if so what is rpm? Should be around 700-800 at idle out of gear and about 550 in gear. Might have someone try to squeeze the primer buld while putting it in gear, if that helps, maybe look at a fuel pump rebuild. Really simple to do and the parts are cheap and the kit comes with good instructions.

James R

Commander

GSS036 is correct. If you dont have a Manual you can easily create more problems than you have. If any one of the carb's is not functioning correctly it would explain some of your problems. Also if a carb on a two stroke motor is not delivering fuel it is not delivering lubrication. This will ruin a motor in short time.
To be reasonably sure that the motor is not already damaged a compression test needs to be performed. If the compressions are ok then carb cleaning can procede. DO NOT used the spray type carb cleaners. That stuff will not remove the shelac deposits and will damage plastic parts, seals, gaskets and finishes.
The carbs will have to be removed, disassembled and soaked in a special cleaner. I recommend Gunk Carb and Parts cleaner, 1 gallon can. Follow the instructions on the can. It will not damage plastic parts. It will soften rubber and gaskets so remove those parts before soaking.
Carbs need to be cleaned periodically. Using Stabil in your fuel will minimize to need to clean.
Incidentally I have recently rebuilt an XR2. The failure was due to dirty carbs.

j_martin

Admiral

I'm with James. Breakdown maintainance doesn't cut it on these things. Little things (partially clogged carb) quickly develop into big things (burned pistons) if not fixed.

Sounds like this baby has been neglected to date. Start at the bottom with a health check, (compression, spark, and visual condition) then try to do a link n sync. (Tune up procedure). Then if it's still acting up, systematically troubleshoot it.

Start with an OEM manual. These guys can guide you through it all.

You'll appreciate it someday when you're out of sight of home, a storm's coming, you bump the key and it roars instantly to life and runs strong for you.

hope it helps
John