[RESOLVED] Mariner 60 - Ignition problem

Noodleman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello,

I have a mariner 60 2 stroke, i belive 1976/77 model. I am fixing up the engine which was mechanicly sound when purchased as I have seen it running, but now a few months on, i can't get it to run.

Images here:
www.neon-lights.co.uk/images/outboard

I think there is an issue with one of the ignition coils, but would love some guidance from somebody in the know :)

my engine has 2 coils / spark plugs. I have tested the coils by doing the following. Unscrew the spark plug from the engine, ground the thread of the spark plug, and try and start the engine. Doing this i can clearly see sparks jumping on the plug for one of the coils.

The second coil sparks once, then doesn't spark again until your next attempt.

Is this a sign of a bad coil?

I have a multi meter so can test them if somebody could explain what i am looking for?

Any guidance would be great :)

Thanks

Alec.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Mariner 60 - Ignition problem

Switch the input wiring to the coils if the spark stays the same its the coil if it moves it's the switch box.

Noodleman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Switch the input wiring to the coils if the spark stays the same its the coil if it moves it's the switch box.

it stays the same, so i guess the problem is that coil..

now to track down a replacement!!!

I feel this may take a while.

Can I use any coil to replace the old one, or would I need to look at like for like parts?

Thanks

Laddies

Banned

No, you need the proper coil. Here's a parts breakdown for your part numbers I don't think that they ship out of county but you could check at lest you will have the parts number.

Noodleman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I managed to track down a replacement part, the same spec as the original unit.

*hugs ebay*

I will put in the part next week, and fingers crossed the thing might start now!

Noodleman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: [RESOLVED] Mariner 60 - Ignition problem

the replacement coil has fixed the problem :)

Now the engine is running, so my next task is to get her purring like a kitten ;)