Mercury Throttle & Shifter Problems

radartk

Recruit
Morning folks, I went fishing with my 40hp. Merc, bass tracker. everything was fine until I was coming into the bank, when suddenly the shifter was hard to move. Additionally, the motor would not go to full throttle, because of the shifter. Does anyone know of a place on the web, that shows the insides of the shifter/throttle? Or what could be causing this.<br />Thanks,<br />TK in Tenn.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Mercury Throttle & Shifter Problems

I would start with the cables first.<br />had same problem and there was a kink<br />in the cable.... good luck!<br />PS. you need to post what year motor ;)

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

The remote box (with the handle) is really pretty simple. It handles gear shift and throttle in a coordinated way to ensure you engage gear at the right (low) rpm.<br /><br />The connected rods and links in the motor are set up to ensure that gears are engaged before adding throttle etc.<br /><br />Before diasassembling the box:<br />Look for kinks and cables needing adjustment. If no obvious solution try disconnecting the cables at the motor and move the levers by hand.<br /><br />Then turn to the box.

JoeBuck

Recruit

I have a 2008 Verado 150 equipped with Smartcraft gauges. I sometimes have issues with shifting forward or into reverse from neutral, once it stayed in forward when I put it in neutral. My alarm goes of and signals "shifter critical error". My repair shop said everything checked out fine. I just had it out yesterday.... and the same thing happened. I waited a few hours and tried it again.... and it worked fine. Any suggestions?