Mercury 45 hp won't shift - stuck in gear?

JiminOka

Recruit
Hi All: I have a Merc classic 50 that seems to be stuck in forward. I searched the forums but either didn't find what I needed or didn't make sense of it (sorry).

My questions:

1. What is the most likely cause?

2. How difficult (or expensive) is this to fix?

Many thanks,

Jim

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Mercury 45 hp won't shift - stuck in gear?

Most likely,

Perhaps someone has removed the lower unit, like to do a water pump impeller service, and not aligned the shifting splines correctly when they put it back together.

Beyond that there are a number of other possible issues that could cause loss of shift control.

Such as, but not limited to,

Cables, cable connections and supports, controller, broken or rusted away components, human error from previous repairs, etc.

I suggest, if you are unable to look it over and see if all the mechanisms are working, you have it looked at professionally.

Some shops might give you a free estimate, otherwise expect to pay $80-$100+ an hour for services, plus parts.

JiminOka

Recruit

Thanks for the quick response.

The motor was working fine -- then suddenly this happened. The lower unit has not been off.

I had a shop (non-Mercury) check the control and cables and that seemed fine. They just weren't sure what to do next -- nor was I.

Again, thanks for the response.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

You will have to work from one end to the other.

Me, I'd start by looking to see that the appropriate cable is actuating the mechanism under the hood. And if that looks good, I'd be dropping the lower unit and seeing if it were functional.

It is possible that something broke or rusted away between the two areas, but you, or a mechanic would have to delve in to see.