1960 Mercury Kiekhaefer 400 prop shaft

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer
Hello everyone, I'm a newbie to this site but have looked around and found loads of info here. OK on to the question, a 1960 Mercury Kiekhaefer 400M (45hp short shaft) was attached to the 14' runabout & trailer I bought about a week or so ago for $100 (gut job of boat will post soon in restoration forum with lots of pics :D). The motor has the lower unit but no prop shaft. I have searched and cannot find a site that has the lower unit or prop shaft for any 1960 400 long or short. Is there any other lower unit model besides 400 that's compatiable :confused:. I also see that all hoses need replacing, wires are brittle, control cables cut but still have control box and I also need to get a manual but I'm not spending any money on this until I see a prop shaft with prop. I was planing on getting another motor for the boat but I kind of got to like the looks of this motor (atleast what it will look like when complete)​

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1960 Mercury Kiekhaefer 400 prop shaft

I think most of the above prop exhaust Mark 35 on up through the Mark 58 and through the 400's are the same housing.

And probably interchangeable.

But that's only a guess.

keepNitreel

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1960 Mercury Kiekhaefer 400 prop shaft

I think most of the above prop exhaust Mark 35 on up through the Mark 58 and through the 400's are the same housing.

And probably interchangeable.

But that's only a guess.
Thank you for at least taking a guess. I will try and research this further.