Need advise fast, purchased a 1988 90hp mariner

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class
Im buying sight unseen for $1000, its dirty and been sitting in a field for five years. He said everything is great except prolly old fuel so a rebuild of carbs,fuel pump a must im guessing. Well today he tells me the power tilt is stuck and wont go back up. Should i expect him to come off the price or should i run for the hills. Reason i want this motor i belive it will bolt right in mine right now 13 inches across top bolts lower ten across. I had 80hp 89 that i loved and hoping this will be same. OK just talked to the guy said the armature is damaged by oil leaking past.

Last edited:

Bob37814

Seaman
Re: Need advise fast, purchased a 1988 90hp mariner

Sight unseen huh? I'd be a little worried about this one myself. Never bought an outboard w/o FIRST checking to see if the compression is within specs, and especially one thats $1000 or more, and even with the power t/t problems. My opinion(just mine and mine only not to influence anything) id actually turn it down for that much unless it starts, runs, and pumps water. But everyone has their own insight, I'm just telling you what i'd do Good luck with it - Bob

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Five years sitting in a field? Nah... Not interested... Bores will be rusty, the entire fuel system will be rotten, if there was even a drop of water in the gear oil the gears and bearings will be shot. $100 and I might be interested....

Just my 2c.

Chris..........

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are a few pictures, offered $500 for the motor he said no and thats prolly whats its worth. Maybe i will look at it tomorrow 100 miles away bringing my cash. Just the fact the tilt doesnt work kinda has me leary now.

Attachments

• IMG_0518[2].jpg
    IMG_0518[2].jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0519[1].jpg
    IMG_0519[1].jpg
    34 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0523[2].jpg
    IMG_0523[2].jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0526[1].jpg
    IMG_0526[1].jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0524[2].jpg
    IMG_0524[2].jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 0

Bob37814

Seaman

Well, It looks seemingly decent on the outside but as they always say Dont judge a book by the cover, its whats inside that really matters. IF it were mine and I said IF, First of all get a compretssion test, Make sure first you turn the motor over a few times BY HAND to make sure is feels smooth and dosent snag up anywhere, and if all is well you may ask the owner if you may check for spark. If he is not willing to let you check that for consideration of his asking price, I'd most certainly pass on the deal as it sounds fishy to me. I bought a 135 merc tower about 3 years ago on the back of an old waterlogged runabout. I was offered the boat and all for $500 for it and was just going to get the motor off it and haul the rest to the landfill and keep the trailer as well. This motor had not been run in 1.5 years. As I asked the owner if I may check it for spark, he seemed to get a little aggervated with me and said fine $300 and just get it out of here that he didnt have all day to fool with it and had other things to do. Long story short, I jumped quick at the $200 discount to get it out of there. But alas, after getting it home I found wires rotted, no spark on ANY cylinder, mice nests, cracked block, no compression, and a bad lower unit. Only thing on my salvage find that was worth anything was the top cover, wraparound, and the bottom cowling, and I think I kept the coils. Other than that the rest was nothing more than a trailerable paperweight....Moral is, Check it real good, and if the owner feels uneasy about testing certain things like spark and compression, or substantially lowers the price a great deal, WALK AWAY!!! IMHO, things that are too good to be true.....usually are - Bob

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The bad news.... It's had a 'wing' on it (the drilled holes in the cav plate)... Check all the engine/driveshaft housing mounts closely.. Those obnoxious pieces of rubbish cause the engine to be driven up into the underside of all the mounting hardware and cause premature failure of mounts and load bearing components...

Check it out VERY carefully....

Chris............

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class
One more question on Bolt patterns of motors

One more question on Bolt patterns of motors

My title says it all its a mercury lower case so im guessing its just like a mercury motor bolt spacing. Tops bolts accross 13 bottom 10 does this sound right?