photo10.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo4.jpg

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How to install a SMARTCRAFT system

Hello,

Lets start off with you listing what you CAN see. And what you are looking for. Can you see the following info:

- Trim
- fuel tank level
- Paddlewheel sensor (if installed)
- Pitot speed
- GPS speed (if installed)
- oil tank level (if you have a tank with a sending unit)

37pro

Cadet

Rotofixer seems to be the guy to answer your questions. In the thread he talks about not getting notification of new posts to this thread so you should try a "pm" to him. You could also give Don at European marine a try. Good luck, Eric

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am subscribed to this thread so PM's should not be required.

I am a little slow to respond because I am not in the smartcraft frame of mind. I suppose this is because there is 3 feet of ice on our lake and I use my 9,000lb diesel to get to the fishing hole as opposed to a smartcraft equipped vehicle.

balistikb

Seaman

thanks Rotorfixer
What I see is an error Fault Trim, low Fuel, low oil and so on.
from what I read, looks like I am missing and additional harness.

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks Rotorfixer
What I see is an error Fault Trim, low Fuel, low oil and so on.
from what I read, looks like I am missing and additional harness.

Sounds about right. if you do not have the fuel, oil, and paddlewheel harness you will not have your fuel tank or oil tank connected to the system. If you do not have an oil tank with a sending unit then you will not be able to have that displayed anyways. your trim is obviously not connected, do you have a trim gauge in the dash (not smartcraft) ?

in the set up screens (Cal 1 and Cal 2) you should set the oil tank and fuel tank to "not installed" and set those display screens to "off". You can get the fuel oil paddle wheel harness if you wish to connect the fuel tank.

balistikb

Seaman

Thank you again for your help.
I just ordered the additional harness.
the boat was bought used and the previous owner never have gauges.
What would I need to do to connect the trim/
Also, I have a picture of some sort of sending unit that isn't connected. Do you know what that is?

balistikb

Seaman

Ok so I got the harness 859743T 2 today and the directions that came with it is the same that came with my SmartCraft gauges.
The documentation give not detail on where to connect the wires or to what.
I know part of it is supposed to connect to my gas sender but it doesn't say which is positive or negative.
Any hints will be accepted...
Thank you

briboat

Cadet

Can Anyone Help.
Sorry to jump in. I have 2008 Mercury 115 4 stroke ,want to add smartcraft to system.Every dealer or phone call leads to different answer.
Prefer to add Tach and temp to my boat.It is a 04 repowered so the engine harness 14 pin has no connectors at helm.
Can I run can bus cable from motor to drive either system monitor, or system tach leaving all other gauges on my 14 pin harness or do I need a new rigging harness 14 pin .
I understand mercury updated 14 pin harness to run gauges but i would prefer to run aside the smartcraft system.
Thanks for replies in advance.

balistikb

Seaman

I got a service manual for my outboard and in the back there is a section for smartcraft wiring. It doesn't tell you part numbers but it will tell you the name so you could ask Mercury Marine.
That is what ended up helping me.

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 10 pin wiring smartcraft harness that I installed so that I can install smartcraft guages, I bought a system monitor on ebay. The back of the guage looks like it is missing 2 pins. Is this normal?

Damien.

Cadet

Hi Guys,

Im pretty new to the forums so im just introducing myself really.

I work with Smartcraft installs and systems every day. I have full and detailed wiring diagrams, installation guides, accessory part numbers and more to hand. If theres any advice needed, I'll subscribe to this thread and i'd be happy to help out.

Hope you guys dont mind !

D.

briboat

Cadet

I got a service manual for my outboard and in the back there is a section for smartcraft wiring. It doesn't tell you part numbers but it will tell you the name so you could ask Mercury Marine.
That is what ended up helping me.

What outboard motor do you have the manual for?

briboat

Cadet

Damien.
Hello, welcome to the forum.It's nice to see another person with knowledge in smartcraft.Would you be interested in sending wire diagram and or helping with install questions.Dealers seem to be struggling with smartcraft information.
Whats the easiest way to hook up smartcraft and keep some analog features, and is the conversion kit at 250.00 necessary or is that for water pressure and trim only?

Damien.

Cadet

Question.

Hi Bri.

Your four stroke comes standard with some smartcraft features;

--Engine speed (RPM)
--Engine GUARDIAN system
--Engine operating hours
--Fuel flow, fuel level, and fuel range
--Engine alarm source (switch)
--Troll control
--Battery voltage
--Engine diagnostics
--Engine temperature
--Engine alarm values (sensor readings)
--Engine trim
--Engine oil pressure

On the engine there should be a plug where you simply plug in the data harness. You will need the blue wire which has a terminator in both ends, this will plug into the 4 way smartcraft box, then you will have a harness from the box to each of your smartcrafts gauges (assuming you've gone for the RPM and Speed gauges and not the system monitor).

For trim to work you will need a digital trim sendor.

For speed to work you will need a digital pito sendor.

To have digital and analogue working together isn't ideal, although it shouldn't cause any problems.

I will get some diagrams and manuals uploaded when i have my Merc laptop in hand.

Hope that answers some of your initial questions.

D.

briboat

Cadet

I would only be using existing analog trim and fuel gauges. Capping off the connections from the 14 pin main harness and running the 10 pin CAN DATA.
Would this work or will it cause issue or damage.

Josh_G

Cadet

First I want to thank everyone that has been so diligent in responding to posts here. If it weren't for all of the people that contribute to these forums I don't know where I would get my information.

Let me give you an idea of where I stand; I'm in the process of a major repower, going from and OMC I/O setup to a Merc I/O setup.

Basically what I would like to know is what data is carried in the 14 pin engine harness connection? I have a DTS motor with a 10 pin engine harness, it was manufactured in 2003. All of the smartcraft/DTS equipment out there uses a 14 pin plug but does have CAN1, CAN2 and CAN3 connections. None of the documentation or diagrams I've seen use those CAN bus connections, they only use the 14 pin harness connection.

If I'm using all smartcraft equipment, transom, fuel, trim, throttle, ignition, etc. do I really have a need for the 14 pin connection? Can I just utilize CAN bus extensions and the 10 pin smartcraft connections through junction boxes for the boat harness?

Any help is much appreciated.

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.