How to install a SMARTCRAFT system

Status
Not open for further replies.

mati1

Recruit
Re: Connecting Fuel Sender and fuel/oil/paddle harness?

Hi, I'm not certain about the sc1000, but I just wired my 2011 90hp 4stroke to my stock fuel sender for my mercmonitor gauge. check down about 12 posts to 286. all I did was wire ground and the pink wire from the fuel tank into the connector using the existing weather cap on the connector. you could just connect your cable and cut off the unused wires and connector and stow them or return your adapter cable and do as I did.

Hello toolman99
What mercmonitor version do you have installed?

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Mati

Could you tell us about the versions you question please? Like details of the differences please?

Thanks

Dave

mati1

Recruit

Hi Mati

Could you tell us about the versions you question please? Like details of the differences please?

Thanks

Dave
Hello timestep
There are several versions of mercmonitor as shown on the table below:

Merc Monitor Kits 3 3/8” cutout Part Number
a) Single Engine- Troll Control- NMEA2000 Data Level 1 879337K51
b) Single Engine- RPM SmartTow- NMEA2000 Data Level 2 879338K51
c) Multi Engine- RPM SmartTow- NMEA2000 Data Level 3 879337K52
d) Multi Engine- GPS SmartTow Pro- NMEA2000 Data Level 3 includes GPS antenna 879339K51

I have purchased the last one. Data level 3 with GPS puk included and I have some questions regarding the connection of the GPS puk.
The GPS connects to the system(mercmonitor) via the nmea2k .I have connected it and set the MM(=mercmonitor) to obtain the speed from the gps device but I had no success. Does anyone has the same version and managed to obtain speed display using the GPS puk?
Is the GPS puk used for antena only and required a receiver also?
I would be very grateful if someone has the apropriate knowledge and can assist.

Just to let you know my boat is a Quicksilver commander 555 with a Mercury 115 efi 4s (117 hours). All equipement are 2009 model and I bought them second hand two weeks ago.

Timestep

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, you learn something every day. Thank you for that.

Regards

Dave

orebr

Recruit
Northstar 567 Smartcraft

Northstar 567 Smartcraft

I connected a Northstar 567 directly to a Mercruiser 4.3 MPI(2004) with a northstar gateway.

I use the cable with terminating resistors in both ends.

Problem is this:

Fuel data via smartcraft is working perfect (fuel flow). I also recieve engine rpm in the 567
but no other engine data.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Is it possible to update the software in the ecm or gps? I doubt hardware error, since some data is sent?

Thanks in advance

sdnomad

Cadet
Re: Northstar 567 Smartcraft

Re: Northstar 567 Smartcraft

Could someone tell me what Smartcraft fuel oil paddle wiring harness I need for my 2005 225 Optimax? I have harness # 84-859743T03 with a 6 pin connector and the plug I find on the outboard is 8 pin.

I've seen other posts that state you need this adapter harness part # 859244T1 also to make this work. Is there a fuel oil paddle harness that plugs directly into the 8 pin plug on the motor?

Antitorque

Recruit
Re: How to install a SMARTCRAFT system

I have been checking out this thread after buying a smartcraft sc100 tach, 15' cable with 1 resistor and junction box for my Bigfoot 40HP 2010. Got all 3 parts from different ebay suppliers and hooked it up. Tach powered up but no data. Didn't know what to do, I thought it might not be compatible or one of the components was bad. FIX: Just wanted to mention that a reset of the Smartcraft tach (pressing left and right buttons for about 10 secs) forces the smartcraft to find available engines. After the reset it was receiving data and all my fears of a bum gauge or cable were forgotten.

fshon

Recruit

If I'm using 2 fuel/oil/paddle harnesses to allow me to monitor both oil tanks, will I connect both fuel and paddle wheel wires? Or just one of them for fuel and paddle wheel?

Also another question, I have a smart craft harness from each engine running up to the helm and connected to the junction box. Should I keep the can power connectors connected on both engines?

hadora

Recruit

As i said a few months ago, i have 2 SmartCraft SC1000 (tachometer and speedometer) but i'm stuck because i don't know what harness to buy

when i read this document http://meadowbrooktrading.com/Galleries/Rob/WiringForSmartcraftGauges.pdf it say i need these 2 harness (84-879978T1 for speedometer and 84-879979T1 for the tachometer )

but when i read another document http://www.mercurymarine.com/_media/pdfs/precisionrigging/smartcraft_manuals/System_Sped_Tach_Install_Sheet.pdf it say that i need
Speedometer Harness (84-879978A1) and tachometer harness 84-879979A1

finaly when i see again another documents

http://www.mercurymarine.com/media/mercury/documents/SmartCraft_System_Tachometer_and_Speedometer_Installation.pdf

i see another harness somewhat similar to the above harnesses but with an additional ground wire on them !

It drive me nut ! :facepalm: i don't know why there are so differents harnesses for the same gauges !

i have bought 84-879979A1 and planned to buy 84-879978A1 but i'm starting to think it was a bad idea

can you help me guys ?

salmon troller

Recruit

As i said a few months ago, i have 2 SmartCraft SC1000 (tachometer and speedometer) but i'm stuck because i don't know what harness to buy

when i read this document http://meadowbrooktrading.com/Galleries/Rob/WiringForSmartcraftGauges.pdf it say i need these 2 harness (84-879978T1 for speedometer and 84-879979T1 for the tachometer )

but when i read another document http://www.mercurymarine.com/_media/pdfs/precisionrigging/smartcraft_manuals/System_Sped_Tach_Install_Sheet.pdf it say that i need
Speedometer Harness (84-879978A1) and tachometer harness 84-879979A1

finaly when i see again another documents

http://www.mercurymarine.com/media/mercury/documents/SmartCraft_System_Tachometer_and_Speedometer_Installation.pdf

i see another harness somewhat similar to the above harnesses but with an additional ground wire on them !

It drive me nut ! :facepalm: i don't know why there are so differents harnesses for the same gauges !

i have bought 84-879979A1 and planned to buy 84-879978A1 but i'm starting to think it was a bad idea

can you help me guys ?

I think you're fine with the 84-879979A1 & 84-879978A1. I'm not 100% sure but if it were me, that's what I would try.

mcgyver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi, is there a part # for the Oil level sender in the remote tank. I've got the fuel/oil paddlewheel harness but my oil tank doesn't have the wires for the sensor...is it possible to just order the cap? 2007 optimax 150

fshon

Recruit

Hi, is there a part # for the Oil level sender in the remote tank. I've got the fuel/oil paddlewheel harness but my oil tank doesn't have the wires for the sensor...is it possible to just order the cap? 2007 optimax 150

I'm almost positive you need to buy the tank and sender as a kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.