How to install a SMARTCRAFT system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was like many of you (I can tell by all of the questions floating around on these forums), wanting to install a smartcraft system in my boat, but found there is little accurate info out there....

If you have any questions, please post it on this forum, not by PM

I took the leap, taught myself a lot and would like to share with you guys how to do it. I can help you with part numbers, harnesses, connectors etc. Here is the rough overview of my install in my 2008 PolarKraft Kodiak 178 FS with a 150hp optimax.

First was the completely unknown connector in the engine, this was easly found once I knew that there had to be a terminator resistor on it, so you look for a connector that ends (near the front righthand side) that has a yellow cap that reads "terminator" keep it, you will need it. Here is an image of the area with the two smart craft harnesses connected (blue network cable, and Fuel, oil, and paddle wheel harness)
(pointing to main harness)
http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16417&stc=1&d=1218393232
(pointing to fuel, oil, paddle wheel harness)
http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16418&stc=1&d=1218393260
I could not find any info on the fuel oil and paddlewheel harness and thought it was going to connect to the junction box, but it came with a different connector, so I found one in the engine same size, and with the same wire colors. If you do not buy or connect this harness, you will not have paddle wheel input (troll control, or slow speed speedo) or remote oil (or water or waste) tank level, or more importantly fuel level. one lead of this harness is fuel 1, it needs to tie in to the fuel tank sending unit, and you need to be sure the unit is also grounded, or it won't work. you may also have to upgrade to a digital sender (@ 50$) like wema (others are listed on the merc website) mine had one and works fine.
I see guys on the net have cut the harness on the cables to get them through tight spots, and then splice them back together, I would strongly advise you DO NOT DO THIS. this is a very voltage and resistance sensitive system, so I spent a few hours trying to google the disassembly of these connectors, found nothing, spent a few more and figured it out for myself.

I will create a new post "how to disassemble a smartcraft cable connector" to deal with this as lots of pictures will help

remove the cable ends if necessary and run the cables, avoiding anywhere that might chafe and wear through the cable. There are several ways to make the system, one system monitor, tach only, tach and speedo, I can help you find the right p/n's for what you are trying to accomplish. This is a list of parts I used to build my system, took lots of reasearch as my dealer, like most, wasn't very knowledgable.

I thought I wanted a junction box at the back of the boat because I thought the fuel oil paddle wheel harness connected to it, now that I know it doesn't, I am not sure what use it might be, but is there for when I figure that out, suppose I could put a system monitor back there for when I am working on the engine...

one thing to know is that there needs to be two resistors in the system (at each end of the "CAN BUS TRUNK")... if you have two junction boxes, you will need to have a resistor in each of them, if you have one junction box (up front for tach and speedo kit) you can buy a cable that has one resistor built in at the engine side (p/n 879981TX, X= the length ie. 879981T20 would be a 20ft cable) and then one termination resistor in the box up front. If you are only doing a system monitor, you can have no junction boxes and buy a cable that has a resistor built in to each end (p/n 879982TX, X= length). You will also need to plug all open connectors (on junction boxes) with weather caps, the amount that come in the kits should suffice.

79-879899K07 Grey face, black bezel tach and speedo kit, comes with tach and speedo harness, air temp sensor, one junction box, and I think one or two weather caps
879968T6 6' harness, I used it to go from the engine to rear junction box
879968T15 15' harness to go from rear junction box to front junction box
859318T1 Termination resistors
878492K16 6 way junction box with 3 weather caps
859743T03 Oil, fuel and paddle wheel harness
859223B1 Paddle wheel sensor
here is a pick of the rear junction box area (note the yellow "cap" you see is a terminator resistor, just under that is a purple weather cap)

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16414&stc=1&d=1218392977

here is the front one (under the dash), went with a 6 way box incase I wanted to add more later. ( you can see the one yellow terminator resistor, two purple weather caps, the top two left hand are the tack and speedo connectors, and the lower right is the harness to the back junction box. you can also see the "system link" cable dangling to the left (two pin connector) for use to connect future link gauges.

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16415&stc=1&d=1218393064

and here are the gauges!

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16416&stc=1&d=1218393126

Attachments

• IMG_0721.jpg
    IMG_0721.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0740.jpg
    IMG_0740.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0736.jpg
    IMG_0736.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0737.jpg
    IMG_0737.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: How to install a SMARTCRAFT system

This was one of the best resources I found, has lots of p/n and explanations

http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop-catalog/ecat/supplier-050-025-MM/book-400-005-SC/

I ended up buying from a store on ebay that had better prices than my dealer (here in northern Canada) told me was his COST... it is Tommyhabana, great to deal with, you just tell him the parts you need, he will quote them and you will see what I mean (my entire kit including 50$ in shipping was under 700$) could have shaved more off without the rear junction box, and rear cable.

thegodown

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for the great information.
I'm getting ready to install a smartcraft system into my 1985 Sea Ray 340. The engines are 8.1 Horizons installed in 2005. I purchased a SystemView Racing SC5000 kit on ebay and am now wondering what other connectors I'm going to need to complete the installation.
I'm guessing I'll need a couple of CAN Data harnesses to run one from each engine to a Junction box. I'm guessing I'll need the data cables with one end terminated each, plus dust caps etc.
My boat is twin engine with twin fuel tanks. Do I connect the port tank to the port engine and the starboard tank to the starboard engine via 2 boat harness wires, or can both tanks be connected to one engine?

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm glad the info I posted was of use to you.

First you need to know what came in the kit, I believe that it wass just the monitor, 1 harness for the monitor and an air temp probe. If that is the case you will need two short harnesses from each engine (879968T6) to go to a junction box at the back of the boat (878492T14 (4 way box)) then a main harness (879968T25 (? that is if 25 ft is what you need) then another junction box at the helm, for your monitor harness to connect to (same p/n as the one at the back) you will need one termination ressistor in each box, you will find the connectors you will be useing in the engine will each have one, you can just use those. If you will need dust caps you can just order one of the boxs as a kit (pn 878492K14) and it will come with two weather caps. You can connect the fuel oil and paddle wheel harness to just one engine then have it connected to the two fuel tanks (starboard I think) but if you want to have waste or water tank levels you can allways add a harness to the other engine. You will most likely need to have the ECMs reprogrammed to port and starboard before the system will work.

I also remember reading on twin engines you will need to cut and cap the power wires in the smartcraft harrness coming from one of the engines (port?), I can read my manual tonight if you need to know about that. You should look at my thread about disassembling the connectors on the harnesses for routing, might be usefull to you "how to disassemble a smartcraft connector" I think. Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions.

thegodown

Seaman Apprentice

Where are you getting all this great information? I've been googling for days and can't find any detail anywhere on smartcraft installation. What manual are you using and where can I get one?

You wouldn't happen to have a part number for the boat harness (fuel and paddle wheel) that will support two fuel tanks? Is it 84-859743T03?

All my gauges are analog. Installing the system view system won't affect any of the legacy components, will it?

And yes, please let me know about the cutting and capping procedure for the dual engine install.

Thanks.

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No problem, I was doing the same as you and just took a leap of faith and ordered a bunch of stuff and taught myself. There is no "manual" except I heard there is smartcraft stuff in the engine sevice manual (which I don't have) yes that is the harness you need for fuel level, the harness has two "quantitiy" leads, you can use the tank 2 for what ever you want, I will be adding an injection oil resevoir to my boat, and it will connect to that too (as an example) Do you have a fresh or waste water tank ??? I will get you the info you need on caping the harness.

Your older instruments will work just fine, and I highly recommend talking to "tommy habana" on ebay, its a store, thats where I got everything, he will get you whatever you want thats merc (all harnesses etc are merc). just ask him for a quote.

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is an email I recieved, I will post it and my answer incase it may help someone.

Hi, I was reading your thread on iboats, and I am confused on where the main engine harness connects to. By this, I am reffering to the big round plug, right above where the two other harnesses hook onto the engine. If you look at this pic, its the plug that is a couple inches above your finger. http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=16417&d=1218393232 I'm assuming that you are still using that harness for the key, lanyard, alarm, and remote control, but how about the very end. Does that connect to anything now? Also, is the oil, paddle, fuel and wheel harness all one cable that connects to all of those components? Lastly, the cable that you are directy pointing too in the picture above; I'm assuming that that is the cable that is leaving the engine and going to the junction box, correct? I look forward to hearing your answer. It is tough finding information on this on the internet.
Thanks
Edward

Hi Edward,

It might not be a bad idea to post these questions in the forums, then other people can benefit from your questions.

I think the easiest way to answer your question would be to say that any smartcraft installation on on a non DTS (digital shift and throttle) is purely supplemental, you can have both full analog and full digital at the same time. I have left the main analog harness installed as it is, as you suspected, running the key/ stop switch etc. I have just capped off the wiring for all of the analog instruments, and the are just sitting behind my dash (incase I want to install them in the future). I may even remove that and go digital key/ horn etc. in the future.

Yes the Oil, Fuel, Paddle wheel harness connects to the engine (the other connector I am pointing at) and connects to the following: 1 fuel tank, 1 paddle wheel/ sea temp sensor, and any one of these for the last connection: another fuel tank, an external injection oil tank level sensor (you can buy for an optimax, not sure what boat/ engine you have), waste water tank, fresh water tank, basically any type of level sensor.

Yes the connector I am pointing at is the one that is for the smartcraft network (CAN bus), you can easily find it on your engine because it will have a yellow cap with the word "TERMINATOR" on it.

Peter.

thegodown

Seaman Apprentice

Don't look to the Engine Service Manual to provide you with any clues. I purchased the service and parts manuals and have not seen the word "smartcraft" on a single page yet.

Hi Peter, its Edward again. I was hoping that you could help me with another problem I am having. Let me explain my situtation. I had a 2002 Optimax on my boat, but now I bought a 2006, and its a compltetely different. I was wondering if your system has these cables. If they do, I can hopefully reuse some of it. Here is a picture of the cable that connects to the Wheel and water temp sensor. Is it the same as yours?
IMG_8298.jpg

Also, is this plug thats in my hand the one you are using for the oil, paddle, and fuel harness?
IMG_8297.jpg

And just to confirm, these are the wires that you are using on the engine?
IMG_8299.jpg

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Edward,

The picture at the bottom shows the two connections you need, the left is the smartcraft main connector, it should mate with the plug "in your hand" , you can double check by making sure thatall of the wire colors are the same on each plug. the one on your right is the fuel oil and paddle wheel harness, again it will mate with a connector with the exact same wire colors.

It looks like the wires may have neen spliced in your harness ??? If thats the case you may want to think about replacing it. They seem like they might be an old style, I know the new ones are blue.

I was worried that being a 2002 it may not have been compatible, but I checked, all 2002 and newer merc's are compatible, though it looks like you had a main connector to your engine ("the one in your hand", 6 pin) then a little pigtail comes out around 6" on the boat side of the connector for the fuel oil and paddle wheel?? Is that what I am seeing?? Also I noticed that the wire colors don't match, thats odd.... Are you SURE your old opti was a 2002 and not a 2001???? I don't want to sound rude with the question, but it might prevent you from chasing your tail....

let me know if this helps.
Peter.

Last edited:

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thegodown,

Each entire CAN bus can only be powered by one engine on multiple engine boats. If you locate the CAN bus connector on your engine (the one with the yellow TERMINATOR cap, that you will connect the smartcraft cable to), about 3 inches below it (3 inches along the harness) there should be a 3 wire plug (this is the CAN BUS power connector), it should be red/blk, blk, ppl. this needs to be disconnected from ONE of your engines and caped. I would say not the starboard engine. Hope this helps.

Female plug 881176A1
Male plug 881175A1

Peter.

Last edited:

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Guys,

I have been getting a few emails lately (some from Russia!!) with smartcraft questions, it would be good if you post the question on here, this will help others by sharing the info. I have now subscribed to this thread so I will be immediatly informed by email when you post and will try to respond within 12 hrs if not immediatly.

Peter.

thegodown

Seaman Apprentice

I've installed all my wiring and the main smartcraft wiring and monitor.

Can anyone can help me pinpoint the location of the CAN Bus Power Connector, and the Fuel/Oil/Paddle wheel harness connector on Horizon 8.1 Mercruiser inboards?

I'm having trouble locating the CAN Bus power connector so I can disconnect power from one of the two engines. With dual CAN power connected, both engines will run with either the port or starboard ignition switch turned on.

I'm also having a tough time locating the fuel oil and paddlewheel harness connector. I've searched all over these engines with no luck.

Thanks.

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've installed all my wiring and the main smartcraft wiring and monitor.

Can anyone can help me pinpoint the location of the CAN Bus Power Connector, and the Fuel/Oil/Paddle wheel harness connector on Horizon 8.1 Mercruiser inboards?

I'm having trouble locating the CAN Bus power connector so I can disconnect power from one of the two engines. With dual CAN power connected, both engines will run with either the port or starboard ignition switch turned on.

I'm also having a tough time locating the fuel oil and paddlewheel harness connector. I've searched all over these engines with no luck.

Thanks.

Hello again,

I assume by your question again that my answer a few posts back did not help you ? I am assuming your engine is later than 2002 right? If you can't find it by looking at the connector on your engine that your smartcraft harness attaches to, then look about 3" down the harness (engine side) and if you do not find a connector in the bundle, then I can tell you what wires to REMOVE from your PORT engine SMARTCRAFT harness end, it will be super easy, and you will not have to cut the harness itself, I can walk you through it. So, just let me know if you have searched that exact location (and it is a 2002 or newer engine), and I will tell you how and what pins to remove! simple huh!

As for the location of the fuel oil and paddle wheel harness, the easiest way is to look at the wire colors, cheack all unused connectors of the same shape as the one on your harness that you want to install, and the connector that it will mate with should have the exact same wire colors at the exact same pin locations. That is how I found mine.

Peter

thegodown

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Peter.

Wonderful to talk again. Your initial help was excellent and basic installation went without a hitch. The monitor works great and gives me all engine parameters as advertised.

Basically I can't find either of the two connectors, CAN power or Fuel/Paddle/Oil. I've traced out the entire engine harness from front to rear and even pulled back the wire loom in several places looking for the correct color codes.....but to no avail. I'm just wondering if maybe the connectors and/or wiring color code is different for inboards than outboards?

Please do walk me through the pin disconnect procedure for the port engine power.

A wiring diagram or schematic for the 2005 8.1 Horizon engines would probably help me pinpoint the connectors.

Thanks.

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thegodown,

Each entire CAN bus can only be powered by one engine on multiple engine boats. If you locate the CAN bus connector on your engine (the one with the yellow TERMINATOR cap, that you will connect the smartcraft cable to), about 3 inches below it (3 inches along the harness) there should be a 3 wire plug (this is the CAN BUS power connector), it should be red/blk, blk, ppl. this needs to be disconnected from ONE of your engines and caped. I would say not the starboard engine. Hope this helps.

Female plug 881176A1
Male plug 881175A1

Peter.

No problem,

First question would be: can you see the three wires I have identified in the quote above at your engine to smartcraft connector (these wires are part of the "smartcraft harness")? if so, follow the preocedures I have laid out in "how to disassemble a smartcraft connector" and pull the pins out of the smartcraft cable (not on the engine side) and test the system to make sure it works, then you could just snip the pins off and cover with heat shrink (the three little wires inside the harness) If you do not see the three wires (different colors?? which I doubt) then I can wring out my system at home and tell you how else to identify the wires you need. Make sure you have your battery off when pulling the cable end off, there is a wire that has constant power in there that will blow a tiny little fuse in your engine and will not start, HARD TO FIND!!!!

Titanium

Cadet

Rotorfixer,

I have a 2007 boat with the Mercruiser 496 Mag Bravo 3, but it did not come with any SmartCraft gauges or DTS.

I assume there is no reason that I could not add SmaratCraft gauges to this boat, and keep the old analog gauges also?

And can I add DTS shifting to this boat? I assume I would merely replace the existing shifter with DTS shifting and add the appropriate Can network wiring from the shifter back to the engine?

Thanks for any help!

Titanium

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello,

EDITED THE LIST OF OPTIONS!!!! April 10, 2009

First of all yes, you can have analog instruments in conjunction with smartcraft instruments. You have these main system options:

1- Vessel view system ($$$)
2-System View ($$)
3- Smart craft Tach and speedo ($)(both or either one will drive link gauges I recommend this option, most info aside from system/ vessel view!!)
4-System tach only (can be direct connected!)
5- System monitor (will drive link gauges)

You can use any of these gauges together in any combination.

Your DTS question however I cannot say for sure, I am under the impression that you either have a DTS engine, or you do not. Hopefully someone could chime in if they know for sure. I would like to add DTS to my 08 Optimax, but I know that is not possible. I hope this information helps you.

Peter.

Last edited:

Rotorfixer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 11:18:29 -0700
Subject: question for the smartcraft
To: agentorange30@hotmail.com

Hello i wanted to ask i have bought mercury smartcraft 79-879897k16(tachometer). I have mercury optimax 90 2007. I have got only one cable from gauge to the junction box. But i dont have the junction box. What do i need to buy, o maybe there is one cable connecting engine to the gauge.

Thank you for you patience

Hello,

It appears as though you have two options, the first is known, the second I just learned by doing some research.

1) buy a cable and junction box, this would allow you to expand the system later with link gauges and a system speedometer or system monitor:

879981T20 (the "20" is the length, you can get 10, 15, and 25ft as well) is the cable from the engine to the junction box, one resistor.
878492K14 is a 4 way junction box with 2 weather caps.

2) Direct connect your system tach to your engine!! This is new to me! You can connect horn and system link gauges only:

879982T20 (the 20 is the length again, you can also get 25 or 30ft) cable from the engine to your system tach, two resistors.

Let me know if I can help you further
Peter.

fishnchips69

Recruit

Hello,

First of all yes, you can have analog instruments in conjunction with smartcraft instruments. You have three main system options:

1- Vessel view system ($$$)
2- Smart craft Tach and speedo (both or either one will drive link gauges I recommend this option, most info aside from vessel view!!)
3- System monitor (will drive link gauges)

Your DTS question however I cannot say for sure, I am under the impression that you either have a DTS engine, or you do not. Hopefully someone could chime in if they know for sure. I would like to add DTS to my 08 Optimax, but I know that is not possible. I hope this information helps you.

Peter.

It is either DTS or it isnt. You cant convert the two as the mechanisms are completly different for shifting...sorry
:(

Status
Not open for further replies.