Mariner Shear Pin

eshell

Cadet
Hope I'm note the 1001st person to ask this question but here it is anyway:

I have mainly used older Johnson outboards but just picked up a used 5 hp 2 stroke Mariner.
I've been going over it in the garage, getting familiar with it and thought I would change the shear pin or at least get to it and reassemble. What a surprise!! No pin!
I did a little internet searching and read about the spline drive but couldn't get any good info on what this all means.
If I hit a stump or something, what breaks or gives? Do I need to carry a spare prop now instead of shear pins? (Not saying carrying a spare prop would be bad even with shear pins)
There must be some kind of built in safety feature... what is it?!

Thanks,

Ernie

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mariner Shear Pin

Not sure, but larger motors have a rubber hub that is 'supposed' to give when you hit stuff....the splines hold the prop to the shaft, and the rubber hub connects that to the actual prop.

Ian

eshell

Cadet

Thanks Ian,
That makes sense. I assume then, after a while the slip function weakens and the prop slips even when you don't want it to.
System must work though I guess, I'll just wait and see!

Ernie

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, I'm no pro, but they have a pretty long life, unless you hit a lot of stuff....the prop on my fifty that I got is very chewed up, but the lower unit seems fine, so my guess is that it works out alright.

Ian