Solvent that will Dissolve Permatex?

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hi,

The welch plugs on my carburetor are sealed with a Permatex-looking product.

Is there something that will dissolve the sealant without harming the body of the carb?

The pic below shows the red sealant.

Thanks, Chuck

Attachments

• carbtop.jpg
    carbtop.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 0

240sx4u

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Solvent that will Dissolve Permatex?

I would dig out as much as you can with an xacto knife first. If there is a solvent it is made by permatex. The other factor, is not actually knowing what it is.

I suspect you could get it pretty clean without chemicals.

Evan

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

just heat it up with a propane torch

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Wally World Super Tech Carb Cleaner @ 1.24 a can is about the best solvent that I have found for cleaning anything of varnish, grease, etc.

If that won't cut it try Cutex brand nail polish remover/acetone, that will usually soften epoxy resin.

I wouldn't recommend anything with a flame around a carb, it's not the fuel thing, it's the heat around delicate aluminum and thin brass, warp it and you'll be looking for another carb.

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Those look an awful lot like my WM-15 carbs...that red stuff on mine was more like dried wax then anything else. As above you should be able to just scrape it off, or use a wire brush. Acetone will lift just about anything too, but will destroy rubber and plastic, so be careful. As above as well...no torching, be nice to your carbs...:D

gakpuss

Cadet

I just rebuilt my carbs and used a heat gun to soften the red sealer and then unscrewed them while they were still warm.