1958 Mercury Mark 10 sputter

Dougan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey, just got my merc mark 10 out in the water for the first time. Seems like it runs fairly well. It was not very difficult to start, considering that it had been sitting for awhile. Once I got it started the first time, it started on the first or second pull thereafter. Couple of questions, though.

First, there's a formidable rattling noise when it's running. I'm pretty sure that this is just the casing because the top to it doesn't seem to fit on snugly- it's kind of loose. Is there an easy fix to this besides solutions I would have probably thought of already? I was thinking about getting some sort of padding along the edges such as a towel to maybe dampen it. But maybe this is a common thing with these and has a "normal" way to remedy it, so I figured I'd throw it out there. I'm pretty sure whatever it is isn't interfering with the motor's function, so I'm not too worried about this one.

Second, and more important: The motor runs well, throttles up fine, and idles surprisingly well for such an old piece of equipment. The only problem that I did see is that when you run it wide open, it sputters. You can hear a sputtering noise right as you reach wide-open. This sputtering periodically will go away for a couple seconds, and I can notice a power increase when this happens, as well as a power decrease as it starts sputtering again. It is not serious, but noticeable nonetheless. I did try giving the fuel line a squeezer with no results. I'm not sure where I should go from there.

Thanks,
Scott