Short in Mariner ignition switch?

Ran the boat around today for a little while on the mariner 40 mag motor. Then trolled a bit.

Went back to restart the main motor. Turned the key to start, choked a couple of times with the key, but motor didn't start.... but it was humming.

I knew it had to be the starter spinning away... but I couldn't stop it.

Turned the key to off, removed the key, pulled the dead-man cord. Nothing stopped it.

Finally, unwired the main line from the battery.

Attempted to reconnect the battery a couple of times, but starter always snapped to life.

rode the trolling motor back a mile or so towards the launch. Fishermen asked if I needed a tow... and i said I'd check the motor once more.

this time, connected battery...starter didn't kick in by itself. Was then able to use the key to start the engine and could see the starter wasn't spinning when it wasn't called for.

I'm guessing the problem has to be a short or something stikcing in the ignition switch that's keeping the "start" position on at all times. I've had this switch off once before to wire in a tach... so it's possible something has developed a short.

Just checking in case anyone knows this is blatantly something else

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Short in Mariner ignition switch?

It could be a bad switch or the starter solenoid stuck closed.

Re: Short in Mariner ignition switch?

how would i check the solenoid? and is that something that can stick and unstick at will? is there some way to force it to unstick?

I'm guessing this is gonna be a come and go problem... and my brother's supposed to be taking the boat for a week long fishing trip next week (of course).

Is there an easy 1-2-3 way to confirm the prob?