Mercury 650 Thunderbolt won't start/ no spark

keeganfairview

Recruit
First time poster here...I have a 67 mercury 650 Serial # 2164644. I was going down the river the other day and all of a sudden my engine died out. I took it back home and took a quick look at it and put a tester to it. It turned over but wouldnt start. Then the next day i went to start it and it didnt turn over. I was told that it might be the starter solenoid, so i replaced it. Still nothing. Then i was messing around with it a little bit and got it to turn over. Then again after a while it stopped turning over. So beside the fact of it not turning over, it has no spark. Is there a way to test each part to find out what is gone? or does someone know what it is? Any help would be great! Thanks

Laddies

Banned
Re: Mercury 650 Thunderbolt won't start/ no spark

Check the engine plug in, it sounds like a bad connection or broken wire.

keeganfairview

Recruit

I have checked all wires, all connections and everything looks to be hooked up right and have a tight connection. I will try to start it and it will turn over and then a few minuters later i will try to start it again and it will not do anything will not even click. I do not even know where to start...thanks

Laddies

Banned

When you try to start and it won't turn over, push the choke if it clicks you have power to the switch. If you have power ck for voltage at the small solinoid wire, no volts bad switch or wire from the switch or plug in connection. Also with the switch off you need 12v at the red terminal of the switch box and with the key on 12v at the red & white terminals. If this all tests good you will need to test the CD ign.

keeganfairview

Recruit

I got the engine to turn over, but still no spark? What is the CD ign??? How do i test the stator, Coil, and Switch box? Thanks

Laddies

Banned

Heres the test from CDI
scan0002.jpg