1989 mariner 45 how do you get at the powerhead lower gasket (pics included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coreymon

Cadet
how do you get at the power head lower gasket? i removed the power head but something is holding the plate that is on top of the lower gasket. i do not see anything else to loosen on top. could this plate somehow be attached to the lower unit? the first pic shows the plate that i need to remove (the black hole is the exhaust tube that is attached to the plate). the second pic is a close up i am pointing at the lower gasket and you can see that i can slide the plate from side to side a 1/4 of an inch. thanks for the help (i hope)

mariner1.JPG

mariner2.JPG

Laddies

Banned
Re: 1989 mariner 45 how do you get at the powerhead lower gasket (pics included)

Remove the screw from the shift linkage and lift the linkage and shaft out of the mid section then the exhaust plate will tap loose and can be lifted out.

coreymon

Cadet
Re: 1989 mariner 45 how do you get at the powerhead lower gasket (pics included)

Remove the screw from the shift linkage and lift the linkage and shaft out of the mid section then the exhaust plate will tap loose and can be lifted out.

thanks for the quick reply. i will not be able to get at it again untill wed. so i'll let you know how it goes then. so you are saying that the shift rod will pull all the way out? because i had it up about 12" but it did not seem like it wanted to come all the way out. and when you say "tap loose" do you mean the exast tube is held in place by a press fit and i am just lifting it out by seperating the exast plate from the top of the gear shaft housing? thanks again!

7475.jpg

Laddies

Banned

The shift rod should just pull out the top and the gaskert for the exhaust plate is self adhering and has the plate stuck down, ussaully tapping on the side of the plate will loosen it.

coreymon

Cadet

The shift rod should just pull out the top and the gaskert for the exhaust plate is self adhering and has the plate stuck down, ussaully tapping on the side of the plate will loosen it.

i pulled the shift rod out. the plate is free from the lower gasket but still attached to something inside of the drive shaft casing. the exaust tube is part of this exaust plate as well as what i think is the water tube. here is a link to the part drawing:
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...nbr=130&bdesc=Exhaust+Plate+and+Shift+Linkage

do i need to pull off the lower unit to get at whatever it is that is still attached to the plate?

Laddies

Banned

Yes, if it's loose at the gasket it's probably the w/tube, I drop the gear cases when pulling the powerheads nornally so did not even think about it.

coreymon

Cadet

Yes, if it's loose at the gasket it's probably the w/tube, I drop the gear cases when pulling the powerheads nornally so did not even think about it.

any tricks to taking off the lower unit? thanks again i am going at this for the first time and your assistace is very much apreciated. can i tilt the motor up some or do i need to keep it verticle (i ask becase the skeg is touching the ground) i can dig under it if i need to.

coreymon

Cadet

i searched the forums and found the one by "mariner45" about his stuck lower unit. i am pretty sure i have the same OB, so i'm looking for 5 nuts. do i need to shift it into forward?

Laddies

Banned

Yes it's the same as a 45 and you don't have to shift it, however when reinstall the shift shaft in the unit you will have to get them alined properly

coreymon

Cadet

Yes it's the same as a 45 and you don't have to shift it, however when reinstall the shift shaft in the unit you will have to get them alined properly

allright i got it all apart. how do i know if it the shift shaft is alined properly when i put it back together?

Laddies

Banned

Put the top end all the way back together and install with the unit with it and shift selector in rev. gear.

hoopz

Recruit
Hey coreymon, i believe the i have same issue as you did and i need to replace these 2 gaskets. (same 45 marniner)

I have a leak just link in this video.
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ-MzfNsCi8

Am i right in assuming if i don't fix this i could do permanent damage to the cylinders?

Do you have any notes/pictures on how to take off the powerhead, i haven't done that before on an outboard. Approx project time it took you to complete this?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hoopz
Please take note of the helpful tips at the top of the forum page and avoid posting in inactive topics. After 90 days, topics should be for research only, not to be written in.

Start a topic about your motor and the work you need to do to it

Post the video there

Both topics you posted to are more then 5yrs old. Its unlikely you'll get a reply from the original authors.

Thanks

Closed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.