1978 Mercury 115 Throttle/Shift Linkage?

scottrbishop

Banned
Hey everyone,

Finally got to take the restored Glastron out on the lake this weekend. She ran very well for a first trial run. Transom seemed very solid.

I think I must have the throttle and shift linkages incorrectly adjusted. When I push the control Box handle forward, the distributor doesn't start to move until I extend the arm pretty far forward, and of course, that's about where the motor starts to pick up some throttle.

The motor also starts in a few slow forward gear, Neutral and Reverse don't seem to be working at all right now.

Can somebody walk me through how to get these correctly set? Is it a trial an error thing or is there an easier way to get this set correctly? Should I take it to a mechanic?

Thanks,
Scott

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 Mercury 115 Throttle/Shift Linkage?

Scott, There is no adjustment on the control box. All adjustments need to be done on the motor. Is it possible you have the shift and throttle cables switched. Remember the shift cable moves first, as you push the handle forward. The throttle cable then starts to move.

If the motor is adjusted properly you should put the control into neutral. Make sure the motor is in neutral. Now attach the shift cable to the 1/4" bolt on the shift arm. Adjust the barrel nut until it fits into the clamp.

Now attach the throttle cable to the 1/4 bolt on the throttle arm. Now adjust the barrell nut to fit into the clamp, but add a turn or two to preload the throttle. Make sure the throttle goes to WOT (motor not running), when the throttle handle is pushed ot the max.