Mercury Hurricane Super 10

ephatch02

Recruit
Hello, my dad has a 1951 Mercury Hurricane Super 10 with the Quicksilver Racing Lower Unit. My dad bought it from someone here in Galesburg, Illinois that used to race, the motor is outfitted to run on methanol. The outboard is very clean and runs, what kind of value would this motor have. I have looked around and can't find too much. Thanks,

Andy

Laddies

Banned
Re: Mercury Hurricane Super 10

Stock KG-4 engines go for $400 + on Ebay quite easily

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercury Hurricane Super 10

The KG-7 Hurricane bone stock can fetch quite a few bucks especially if the tank is relatively dent free and the lower cowl is not missing.

However, the racing KG-7H (short tower, "quickie" gearcase) and the KG-7Q (standard length tower with the quickie gearcase) sell for double the price easy. The shorter H tower alone can sell for a few hundred dollars, the gearcase also unless it's been damaged (they take a beating in racing applications). The guts of the gearcase can be a little expensive too, especially the gears. The are 1:1 ratio I believe, which is why they wear out pretty quick. Lots of stress involved.

Does the motor have open exhaust? Alot of them have Quincy exhausts installed in place of the exhaust cover.

Depending on condition, your Hurricane could sell for over a thousand dollars.