Mercury 175HP Sport Jet problems please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkrules19

Cadet
Im new to this forum and seeking some help, perhaps someone will be able to answer my question. I am an owner of a 2004 Sugarsand tango jet boat with 175 HP mercury sport jet. I am not the original owner and after taking the boat out for the first time this weekend here is the problem im having. I was out for about half hour on the lake getting on it here and there, then went tubing for a little while before we parked on the sand bar. We were on there for about 2 hours or so with the music going, then we went to take the boat out. Not even 5 min into the ride off went a loud constant beep. So we turned the boat off and on again but within a few min again off it went. No idea what it means but I took the boat in thinking that maybe it was a bad battery or something. So I went ahead and put in a new battery, checked over a few things and went to try it out again same thing happened but this is what I noticed. If I put around the lake under or right around 2000 RPM nothing happens I can be out there with no beeps. As soon as I get on the throttle in a few min the beep comes back. Sometimes in a min or so sometimes maybe in 10 but it?s a constant loud beep like the beep that you get with the turn of a key just constant. With just a flick of the key the beep is gone for a little time. I thought it might be an overheating issue but with the engine turned off right after the beep its cool to the touch. Then ive read that maybe it?s a oil system warning buzzer but the oil tank was full to the top and during the course of the day a good bit of the reservoir was used. Other than the beep the boat runs great good power throughout. Is there any better way to diagnose this problem? Any ideas? Please help, thank you all for your time.

-Tom-

tkrules19

Cadet
Re: Mercury 175HP Sport Jet problems please help!!

Any ideas anyone? Went to the dealer this morning that beep means that its either a overheating problem or a low oil.. but like i had mentioned the engine was cool to the touch when it was turned off after the beep. Also it is using oil because the main reservoir is down a bit from full and the tank in front of the engine is full also, but there is the sensor on top of the the second oil tank which is on the motor that could be bad. Does anyone know how i can test the sensor with a Ohm reader or anything like that? Thanks again

-Tom-

JC1933

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Tom,
I see that you are having the same success with your thread as I am with mine, what year is your 175?
I am looking at I think the same motor, the one I am interested in is a Mercury Jet Drive 175 XR2 serial # 0E428143 year 2005. 6 cylinder 2 stroke

It looks like an outboard head with no cowling I don't know anything about Mercury motors hope you know more than me on this subject.

Your problem might be a fuel restriction, pinched line could do this.

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TKRules-constant beep is the overheat alarm-good to hear your engine is cool to touch when this goes off! There was a merc bulletin, free recall as sender were calibrated low or defective. Try a different dealer/mechanic, one that knows what alarm beeps mean-see if he can pull up the bulletin that was here:

http://www.marinepartsman.com/Mercury-Marine-service-bulletins/Race-Sterndrives/2004/EN_02.PDF

The service bulletin number is 2004-02,JET DRIVE #2004-02 and or OEM#2004-02 put out by Mercury . It refrences the Sport Jet 175..and
Models covered were Jet 175XR/2 , 2002 -2004 Engine serial#OE407100-OE420153
Title: False Overheat Warning

DO NOT depend on your sender being defective and disconnect it-look into this further.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Merc's oil system is a pressurized system - make sure oil tank caps are on good and tight :cool:

Zamboni

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TK, check your pm's.....sent you a link to shop manual-should help.

habanagold

Recruit

Did this ever get resolved? We bought a used Regal 2000 with a Mercury 175xr Sport Jet and have a similar problem. At first we had a heck of a time just getting it started. It had a bad battery, which I replaced but still problems starting. After overcoming that, we finally go out on our second try and were going along fine. I was just beginning to open up the throttle when we heard 3 long beeps. I immediately brought the motor down to idle and coasted and then after a few minutes, started speeding up again and the same thing happened. I thought we were low on oil so I added a quart that I add. This was not necessary since there was oil in the holding tank. We had to "limp" back to the docks under idle for fear of damaging something.

Now weeks later, I have finally gotten the boat to start easily enough but testing it in the driveway with a water line hooked up and running at idle still produces that same alarms. I am aware that the alarms could me overheating but the engine is still very cool.

The engine repair manual shows that there is a theromstat and heat sensor but I do not know anything about them. Could this be the problem? Why isn't there any information regarding the alarms published anywhere?

Fury

Cadet

TK, check your pm's.....sent you a link to shop manual-should help.

Hi, any chance of that link please?

It seems that there are some issues with the sport-jets that frighten people away. I too have had no luck with the froum response. Cooling or oil issues seem to be an issue and I don't really know my next step. I cant even get a manual here in Australia that covers this unit.

Thanks
Chris

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Anyone find a solution

This isn't the same as your SJ locking up which means yours is not running. These are running problems.

Also, this thread is from over 8 years ago.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.