1996 Mariner 115 HP Outboard trim won't go down from Throttle Switch

fish2287

Cadet
Hi All,

Actual switch on outboard housing works both up and down.

Thumb switch at Quicksilver 3000 works up only, will not go down.

Checked throttle switch with a new switch and same result up only.....

I have 3 wires going back to the outboard (Red Green and Blue) from here i'm kind of lost. All looks okay as far as wires go, I don't know much about the design.

I do have a voltage meter and know how to use it for DC, not like a pro but i'm kind of knowledable with some direction.

Thanks!

Last edited:

hkeiner

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1996 Mariner 115 HP Outboard trim won't go down from Throttle Switch

A wiring diagram would be helpful. I attached one as an example. It is not very readable, so an OEM shop manual for your motor would be the best place to get a legible one.

Having said that, you should be able to figure out your problem by doing some continuity and voltage tests between the wire connections at the thumb switch and the wire connections at the up/down solenoids on the motor. Since the trim works fine with the trim switch on the motor, you most likely only have a break somewhere in the wiring or a poor connection where the remote harness connects to the harness on the motor.

If you are unable to understand the wiring diagram, you can always check the voltage/ground in the various wires when the trim switch on the motor is operated and compare it with the voltages/ground when the thumb switch is operated. Report back on any differences and you may get more informed opinions as to what the problem likely is.

Attachments

• TrimWiringDiagram.jpg
    TrimWiringDiagram.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 0