Mariner 115 Water Pump?

ranger330v

Recruit
I had an alarm come on yesterday and it appeared that no water was shooting out of the side of my motor anymore. Is this an indication that my water pump has gone out. I trolled for a period and thought that I would try it and see it the alarm would sound again and no water was shooting out again. Then there was no alarm and water was shooting out again. Can anyone tell me what this seems to be and if it is something that a novice can repair? My boat is a ranger 330v 1989 model. The motor is a Mariner 115. Any help will be appreciated.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Mariner 115 Water Pump?

Telltale outlets on outboards sometimes clog up. They therefore are just an indicator. Merc waterpumps usually last 3-4 years unless you run thru a bunch of sand or muck, and then who knows when they will fail.

Can you put your hand on the block and see if it is hot? Inline sixes usually run lukewarm at most, at idle. They get hotter under load and at high RPM

You should change the impeller if it is more than two years old. It is not a hard job, but will require you to get a manual.