2001 115hp fourstroke charging problem-Update:Problem Solved

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2001 Mercury EFI 115hp fourstroke.
No output from the charging system. Voltage at the battery is 12.08v. with or without the motor running. Used to see around 14v. up at the dash when all was well.
Checked the usual suspects first: loose or dirty posts or cables, tried running on one or the other and both batteries with the same results.
As the manual says, I checked the amp output after the voltage regulator/rectifier and get no output reading there.
From there it says to check the stator coil resistance using a special test harness, which I don't have. So no stator checking for me.

Any thoughts or suggestions other than taking it to my mechanic?

Does anyone know where to find a regulator/rectifier online?
When I search for one, nobody seems to stock one for the fourstroke motors.

Thanks, Scott

Bigjohn1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2001 115hp fourstroke charging problem

Try BAM Marine, there website is (I think)
or something very similar to that. I own the same engine so I'll watch this thread closely.

Last edited by a moderator:

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Try here also:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/parts.cfm

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys,
Thanks for the links, but unfortunately I came up empty.
It seems that this Merc. is too much Yamaha in the powerhead for anyone to carry parts for it.
I have found Yamaha parts that are likely to interchange in place of the original Mercury part.
In looking at the Yamaha diagram, my Merc. has the exact same layout as the Yamaha electronics.

regulator/rectifier:
Original part # is SH678B-13 rev.1.8.1
Yamaha # is 6D3-81960-00-00

Can anyone tell me if these parts will interchange?

Also looking for test harness #91-88124 which is a Mercury part #
Any ideas where to purchase this part?

Thanks for any ideas, Scott

P.S.- For Bigjohn1, I think that it is no longer OK to post "clickable links" in the posts. It's OK to type the link in, then copy and paste in the browser.

Bigjohn1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just checked the above source and found the rectifier/regulator for your engine for $95.11. How are you coming up emtpy?

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just checked the above source and found the rectifier/regulator for your engine for $95.11. How are you coming up emtpy?

You are right Bigjohn, I found the part on the BAM website. Went ahead and ordered it. Thanks for pointing it out to me. Not sure why I didn't see it the first time, Could be because I had my pop-up blocker turned on, who knows?
One thing I have noticed, Yamaha parts cost more than Mercury counterpart. Could this be the import tax that gets added on?

BTW, How is your Merc treating you? It seems that the few issues I've had with mine have been electrical related (trim relays, main relay that gave us a fit figuring out that it was causing the motor to unexpectedly cut out once in a while), some rust on the trim motor and steering arm.
1200 hrs, it could have been better, but could be worse.
My dealer was very good about fixing the electrical issues under my 5 year warranty , but not the corrosion issues.
Now that my warranty is up, I'm on my own to fix it or fork out some $$$ to have my mechanic fix it. I'll try it myself first.

Scott

Last edited:

Bigjohn1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Scott - Mine is an '04 model with a tad over 600 hours with very few problems as well. About the only bad thing I have experienced is a bushing above the water pump went bad at about 500 hours. I developed a leak that was letting water in the lower unit. I found it quick though and it was repaired before any damage was done to the gears.

Man, those pesky trim motors! It seems that all Merc trim motors of this vintage get all rusty. When I bought the engine brand new and before even splashing the boat for the first time, I drenched that motor housing in Merc Corrosion Guard lubricant - it did no good and the housing just started rusting like nothing was ever sprayed on it.

Good luck with yuor problem. I'd say with 1,200 hours, you've gotten pretty good service from that motor.

sdsaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2001 115hp fourstroke charging problem-Update:problem Solved

Voltage Regulator/Rectifier was at fault.
Ordered a new one from BAM Marine part #881346T
Installed and getting 14v.@ idle :) Haven't tested on the water, but seems OK on the trailer. We'll see if it lasts. You'll be hearing back from me if it doesn't last.

BTW: Found parts on Boats.net under Engine Model #1115F23YY or #1115F13ZD
for a little less that what I had paid.
Hope this may help someone in the future.

Scott