Mercury 225 HP misfiring & eratic

ebizsearch

Cadet
Just purchased a 1997 225 HP 3 litre mercury on ebay with only said 130 hours run time. Seller said motor ran good before repowering his boat with a EFI model from this carb. motor. This motor's lower unit had been canibalized to a friends motor. This motor was sold without lower unit. I purchased one and attached to motor and tried to run it.
Motor did not even fire. found that crank position sensor was .250 in. from flywheel. I adjusted to .040. Motor ran but misfired with loud poping sounds
Sound like it was running only 2- 4 cylinders. ran with erratic idling rpms. After 15-20 minutes it sounded like it started firing on more cylinders (maybe all) and was much quieter with no popping. It ran this way for about 2-3 minutes and then went back to the original pattern. I stopped motor and restarted, and the same thing happened. Starts right away. Smooth running at first then erratic. I openned the carbs just a bit from idle, it starts erratic firing. Any ideas on what to check. Maybe I have missed something on hookup. Compression checked out @ 100-110 PSI. I got fuel, and all plugs are getting spark. Must be problems in timing or something like that. HELP

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: Mercury 225 HP misfiring & eratic

The carbs need to be completely closed at Idle. Sounds to me that you need to do a carb teardown and clean and do a link and sink. Your compression is good. Those are good solid engines but must be set up right as any other outboard.

ebizsearch

Cadet
Re: Mercury 225 HP misfiring & eratic

Thanks for the comeback. The seller said that he had just rebuilt carb. and replaced stator and a new wire harness just before replacing engine and had run motor after all this work.He claims motor ran good. I think I better take your word over anything he said. thanks again.

Anyone else got any suggestions?