Starter dead on Mariner 25HP

jasper2447

Seaman Apprentice
Hi everyone and Happy New Year

The starter on my 2007 Mariner 25 suddenly just stopped working after my last trip out and i cannot seem to be able to find the fault.

Does anyone have any idea about what could cause sudden and total failure of a nearly new starter motor between trips and how i should set about testing the various bits.

i have cleaned the battery terminals etc and re-crimped the cables tight - There is lots of charge in the battery but nothing happens when i turn the key to start

I'm sure it's not the starter motor itself ( I might be wrong, but it seems too new to develop an internal fault) so what do i do now???

Best wishes and tight lines

John

Attachments

• seahog3.jpg
    seahog3.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 0
  • small seajeep.jpg
    small seajeep.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 0

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Starter dead on Mariner 25HP

I can tell you that Mercury/Mariner had a run of defective starters from the factory in 2007. I would have the dealer take a look at it. They should have an updated starter to replace it...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go to the Engines FAQs, Jasper.

Do the starter circuit troubleshooting in "Outboard won't start".

Let us know what you find.

jebeebe

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you hit the starter, you should hear the selenoid click. If not ,the selenoid is probably bad,or it is not getting a 12v shot. If it clicks and nothing happens, it is not sending 12v across the large posts, which could be a bad or coroded selenoid. Check the voltage in when you hit the starter. If it is there..........the selenoid should click.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

pete007

Recruit

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad
Yall keep this one handy YAHEAR!