Loctite 271

matt72

Cadet
Reading my new Clymer manual (OK I know some of you don't approve of Clymer and such like, but it's all I've managed to lay hands on so far!) I am surprised how often Loctite 271 (red) is recommended.

Being suspicious I checked out what I assume are the official Mercury exploded diagrams / parts lists and again 271 is recommended all over the place.

I am about to service the waterpump on my 2003 15hp and would have used Loctite 243 (blue) on the bolts as that always seemed to work well on my old Evinrude, but now I am caught between previous experience of the difficulty in undoing anything that has had red loctite on it, and what seems to be the reccomended practice. Given the location I don't imagine it being a very good idea to use much heat during disasembly and I certainly don't want to end up with broken bolts or stripped threads down there.

Can anybody reassure me that it is Ok to use 271 on these bolts?

Laddies

Banned
Re: Loctite 271

If you use 271 it won't come apart with outheat next time, in 45 years of repairs I could count the times on my fingers I have used it.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Heat and that plastic water pump base just does't work well together, and the 271 will require heat. As Laddies says, it's not necessary on the water pump bolts. I have never used it either, and they have never come loose.
I do use Perfect seal on the bolts, mostly to keep them from corroding into one piece. (salt water motors)

matt72

Cadet

This is exactly my thoughts on Loctite 271 from my previous experiences of it in agricultural engineering.

Seems strange that it would be specified on the exploded diagrams that originate from Mercury. Does anyone know what's going on?

ddennis

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with the rest...if you torque the bolts properly you should not need any locking additive... I still have the same tube of red that I bought over 5 years ago!!

matt72

Cadet

OK so I go with instinct and don't use the 271.

Previously I would have used blue loctite (243) but do you guys think I would be better off using OMC gasket seal/permatex?

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Use it on the threads of the bolts, but it's not nessary on the gaskets, and it will make it a real PITA to clean up next time you want to replace the gasket.