Clymer and shop manual conflict

izu

Seaman
merc 115 serial # 64 and above
The shop manual and the clymer's (page 377)show stator wires in a yellow sleeve containing the solid red and solid blue wires connected to the lower switchbox but I recently changed stators old for brand new both OEM units have red/wht & blue/wht wires in the yellow sleeve the opposite of the manuals

How should I route these wires ?? :confused:

Whats more important the yellow sleeve or the exact color of the wires...

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Clymer and shop manual conflict

It doesn't matter whether you put the solid coloured wires to the bottom switch box or the top. As long as you put both colours (blue and red) that are either solid or with the white stripe to the same switch box.

Chris..........

mmccurry

Cadet

He's right....it doesn't matter as long as solid red and solid blue are on one switchbox and red/white and blue/white are on the other switchbox.

I just replaced the stator on my 115 last weekend. Make sure you pull the excess wires all the way down and out of the way of the rotating flywheel. I didn't and it immediately cut the high speed wires and made me falsely believe that I had a defective stator......

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Just because you see it in print, especially with equipment manuals, don't necessarily believe it. Having been in the design/engineering/manufacturing business all of my career, it's difficult to get it right every time......especially when you make the same thing for lots of years with periodic performance upgrades along the way. Seems the tech-pubs boys (and girls) miss out on some of the manual upgrades, or you miss out in getting them.

HTH,

Mark

izu

Seaman

Thanks for the reponses..!!