mercury 1961 350 4cyl impeller removal tool

nathanglasgow

Seaman Apprentice
Does anyone know where i can get hold of the tool for unscrewing the impeller housing cover or give me plans or hints on how to make one.Here in Scotland nae body wants to know about a 46 year old motor and the local mercury dealers do not deal with motors this age.The motor sat for 19 years outside under a tarpaulin.After shooting carb cleaner at the carbs for a couple of days and removing the mag and cleaning the points and plugs the old thing started.I presume the impeller is dust by now.My brother lives in Minniapolis and visits often and has offered to bring parts over for me so overseas postage is not neccessary.Any replies gratefully accepted.Cheers

Laddies

Banned
Re: mercury 1961 350 4cyl impeller removal tool

Here in the states most hydraulic shops and tool salesmen have a simple spanner that goes in the 2 holes to remove the top

nathanglasgow

Seaman Apprentice

Problem solved with a hammer and a chisel.Now all i need is a new screw in cover(totally destroyed in the removal process) and the stainless steel disc that sits underneath it.Funnily enough the impeller looked ok.Does anyone know if this motor has a water tell tail or does it just spit water from the top exhaust outlet on the rear of the motor like my 1978 20hp chrysler does.Good forum by the way!

Laddies

Banned

It should have a pitot, it's a small hole that comes out the mid section flange at the powerhead on the port side

nathanglasgow

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply.There are no holes on the mid section where you describe but there is one on the bottom cowling towards the rear of the engine on the left side.Is this it?Many thanks for replying.Nathan

Laddies

Banned

That should be it it's about half way back on the port side

Shoppescribe

Recruit

Nathan, would you happen to have any photos of your 350? The '61 Merc 350 is the motor I've been searching for to restore and display in my den.

sauna

Recruit

Does anyone know where i can get hold of the tool for unscrewing the impeller housing cover or give me plans or hints on how to make one.Here in Scotland nae body wants to know about a 46 year old motor and the local mercury dealers do not deal with motors this age.The motor sat for 19 years outside under a tarpaulin.After shooting carb cleaner at the carbs for a couple of days and removing the mag and cleaning the points and plugs the old thing started.I presume the impeller is dust by now.My brother lives in Minniapolis and visits often and has offered to bring parts over for me so overseas postage is not neccessary.Any replies gratefully accepted.Cheers

Hi nat can you not use the spanner for an angle grinder,thechrysler owner in paisley.

nathanglasgow

Seaman Apprentice

Last poster please refer to posting of oct 2007 for solution.I did try the angle grinder toll but the steel pins were too soft and they just bent.Cant be many guys from Scotland who read this but its nice to know i aint the only one.