Mercury 225 Offshore

CULODEGATO

Cadet
I posted on this site a couple of days ago, complaining of an engine that would stall back to idle while driving at wot. The engine would idle fine but would not accelerate at all.

After being at a dealership and having the Merc rep involved they could not figure out the problem. I picked up the boat and started checking connections and grounds while on the water. Found a sensor under the shift linkage that was corroded. I cleaned it and instantly the boat performed like new. Apparently this sensor shuts down 3 cylinders when at idle in order to make shifting the boat smooth from nuetral to forward or reverse. The boat was randomly dropping 3 cylinders while driving. Makes a return trip from 40 miles offshore a little nerve wrecking. Just thought I would pass on the info.

Anyone else had this problem?

gss036

Commander
Re: Mercury 225 Offshore

Never heard of that type of problem, but I did have corrision shut me down on the plug in the wiring harness that plugs in on the engine.
Good information to know. What year is your engine? Where exactly is the sensor you are referring to?

CULODEGATO

Cadet

Its a 1996 Mercury 225, I have had this sensor also go bad on a 2001 Yamaha 225 EFI.

gss036

Commander

Is this sensor under the hand throttle or on the engine linkage on the side of the engine. Maybe only comes on the EFI? I don't remember seeing a sensor on my carb linkage.

CULODEGATO

Cadet

Its on shifter linkage on the side of motor. Sensor is located on the bottom of the shifter track. Called a shift interference switch.

mark courson

Recruit

my 2000 model 225 efi shuts down at WOT a minute or two after plaining, sometime to idle and sometime off. Any suggestions what to look for?