mercury 1979 inline six

57belair

Cadet
I bought this mercury inline six in the beginnig of summer,I have put a new water pump ,new wires ,plugs,taken carbs off rebuilt,new fuel lines,but the problems is it will start after some chokeing carbs a min and it will stay running as long as i want it idels in gear everything i can shut it off and restart right away but if i let it sit for 5 min or so it wont start for nothing all it will do is sputter,i put the old neendels back in carb bowls and it still does the same thing starts a little faster though ,the boat is running off muffs could this be why maybe it likes the lake better ,the water from the pee hole never gets hot hot or is it siting to long 5min or so that it does not like.would like to take to lake but do not wont to be stuck in the middle of the lake.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral
Re: mercury 1979 inline six

Try new fuel pump rebuild kits first..

57belair

Cadet

I bought fuel pump rebuildt kit to for this motor i do think it is something fuel related. On the float there is a spring on top of them should i try to pull them up a little.

57belair

Cadet

being a 1979 does this motor need lead in the fuel dont think it matters boat will fire up runs good its when you shut her down she does not fire up again for nothing acts like it but nothing ,allmost ready to throw the towle in.scared to go to marinea this guy wants 75 dollars an hour i live in colorado not as many options as liveing on coast.

Laddies

Banned

Sounds like a lean condition, try to richen the low speeds a 1/4 turn if it helps richen it a little more before going to the lake as a motor adjusted on muffs is always lean at the lake. When you get to the lake you will have to readjust the carbs any way in gear. Don't stretch the springs as that will make the engine leaner and even harder to start you may have to even raise the float levels some to help the problem the higher the fuel level the richer the idle

57belair

Cadet

1/4 turn to the right or left to make rich ,this is the screws with like orange or like a red paste on them from the factory.

Jimmy70

Cadet

On each carb there is a idle setscrew, normally set at 1 1/2 turns from the bottom seat. Turning the screw to the left,Counter Clockwise will enrich it some. My question to you is was this motor from around your area? If not then it may need some larger jets for the altitude you are at. Those springs are to be set a 3/32" so measure them on the floats. Also when you overhauled the carbs did you make sure those floats were not gummed up on the inside were the slip on the pin in the bottom of the bowl. I took a small drill to fit the hole and carefully cleaned mine up, just be carefull not to push the spring out of the hole when doing this if you do try this. Also did you make sure you got the two paddles in correctly for the floats to push against.
Just some thoughts as I just went thru my engine awhile back.
Jimmy70

Laddies

Banned

Item 35
scan.jpg

57belair

Cadet

I am heading out to the boat right know to drill thoses holes in the floats right now ,i bought the boat here in town ,not sure about the history ,had bin sitting around a couple years ,bouhgt motor for a 100 bucks and have bin tinkering with it all summer. I thank every body for anything that might help.

57belair

Cadet

I put the sctews 1 1/2 out which is where they were so i went to the left and it ran about the same so i put back at 1 1/2 then turnn to right 1/4 the motor seems to like it shout it down let set for about 10 min tryed to restart twice turning key nothing hit choke on remote turn key fired right up ,does this seem right or does it need a little more fine tuning to go ,thanks alot for all the info .

Jimmy70

Cadet

Sounds about right for restart. Those engines love the gas to get started.
Hope it all goes good for you.
Jimmy70

bigl

Cadet

mine is a 79 90hp an it is a hard starting sob its ez to start if you pull cover off spray the carbs with some fuel an oil mixture in a spray bottle than it will start rest of the day. anybody asks tell them racing motor spray achole in it lol pardon the spelling was in the office to much.