Mercury Comet KF 3 impeller questions

freddyray21

Commander
Got a question for the knowledgeable. According to the plate on a motor I just picked up last night it is a Mercury Comet KF-3 3.6 hp with a serial number of 359749. But according to http://www.oldmercs.com/models.html A KF-3 is a 3.5 horse and that serial number doesn't match. I just want to know so I can get the right parts. The motor has 130lbs compression dry. Of course it has no spark, but it seems none of these motors I pick up do. I think it will be a good little runner.

Last edited:

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Mercury Comet KF 3

A KF-3 is a 49 Comet rated at 3.5 hp, so there may not be an official serial number record to compare it to. Pull the flywheel, clean the points, inspect the coils, wires, condensors and connections. I bet you get spark back unless the coils are toast and they may be. If they're cracked, delaminated you'll have to replace them. Also check the LU grease level, Lubriplate 105, and be prepared to shut it down on the first run in the barrel/tub if the water pump/impeller aren't working. Good little motors...I'm fond of the even earlier 1 cyl. Merc's and Wizards with the Buck Rogers look.

freddyray21

Commander

that's what I got too, but the plate clearly states 3.6 hp. I figure to pull the flywheel maybe tomorrow to see.

Last edited:

freddyray21

Commander

pulled the flwheel and cleaned the points and I have spark. Does anyone know what the gap is. I am assuming .020? It started on the first pull though it will need a carb float and impeller. I have them on order. Also it seems as if there is a lower cowling missing and the front of the carb has two screw holes. I am guessing the choke would be there.

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

champion j7j @ .025

freddyray21

Commander

Actually I was asking about the points. The plug is a Champion J8C though

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

points, .018. manual says j7j for plugs but i see a champion site lists j8c for all old ones to 1959.

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

update, they don't stock the j7j anymore and have the j8c as replacement

freddyray21

Commander

thanks. I have ordered an impellar for it, but am curious as the shaft does not have the tell tale round spot in it for the impeller. I am assuming it is in the lower unit at the top. I don't have a manual so would appreciate any instructions on how to do this one. I have done several in the past but all Evinrudes or Mercruisers.

freddyray21

Commander

looks interesting. I think I will need a manual for it. I found one but they want 50 bucks for it.

diaric

Chief Petty Officer

its cheap investment, 1/2 hour of shop time . old stuff like that, few who have expierence to answer a lot of questions

Laddies

Banned

It's quite a simple job here a picture break down
scan0001.jpg

freddyray21

Commander
Re: Mercury Comet KF 3 impeller questions

Okay so I took mine apart and it doesn't look like the picture above. I pull the pin off of the cone, unscrewed the cone. pulled the prop off and mine has the water pump cover that screws into the housing (left hand threads found out the hard way. jb weld in order) then the impellar. The thing is I cannot see how it gets water into the impeller. Unless it is through the little holes pictured. the little holes look like they fit a spanner wrench though.

Attachments

• mercurycomet 006_edited.jpg
    mercurycomet 006_edited.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 0

freddyray21

Commander

okay by squirting pb blaster in the hole I found out where the water goes. Doesn't seem like much passageway, but it's not blocked.

Laddies

Banned

That picture looks like a quicky lower unit from the water pump cartridge. if it is and the left hand treads aiso sound like a quicky, you have a rare bird indeed the quicky were built for the KG4H and KG7H engines and not for that powerhead can you send a side view of the unit and another of the whole engine please

freddyray21

Commander

http://www.fiberglassics.com/forms/forum818/showmessage.asp?fm=Forum&messageID=5386

Here are pics of the motor. It is hard to say what has been done to the motor over the years. I am only going off the serial number and information off the cowl to verify what the motor is. I do know it has good compression and after cleaning the points it started on the first pull. I have ordered parts, but now wonder if they are the right ones.