Mercury optimax 200 stalls at idle.. please help

newo

Cadet
Hi I have a Mercury optimax 200 year 2006. I have a problem it is stalling at idle.. Could some one help with this problem.. I have checked my fuel lines and dont seem to have any problem with does.. Any suggestions on what could it be.. THanks

newo

Cadet
Re: Mercury optimax 200 stalls at idle.. please help

tps?? what does that mean

JUSTINTIME

Captain

Throttle
Position
Sensor

newo

Cadet

THanks mate, for trying to help but im not that good on engines and not really understanding you could you please try to explain better.. THanks again

newo

Cadet

Another thing i get no warning on the smartcraft guages..

JUSTINTIME

Captain

you need to adjust the tps right
buy a factory manual and it will tell you

05GlastronSX

Chief Petty Officer

or take it in to the dealer since its probably still under warranty...

newo

Cadet

Thanks I will try to adjust it... and keep you informed .. at the moment the engines on idle revs between 530-580 most off the time it stalls when it drops to 530.. If i manage to adjust what should i get up the rev too..??

THanks again for your help..

Redneck Yacht Club

Seaman Apprentice

TPS is non-adjustable, take it to your dealer, its a 2006 motor.IT WILL BE FREE!:D
Their are a alot on things that could make it stall at idle.
They will hook up air and fuel pressure gauges and check codes if any.

newo

Cadet

Yesterday got my local dealer to check it out, the computer marked no faults and the air and fuel pressure was ok.. He now told me that we should try and change the fuel filter.. Ill keep you all informed.. let me know if you have any more suggestions on what could it be..
Thanks to all

gss036

Commander

Changing the fuel filter is a cop out by the dealer, what he means is that he doesn't know. You would have to have a fitler 3/4 full of junk and water for that to happen.
Maybe jump up a grade in the gas you are using. Mercuries really like premium gas. Even my old carbed model.

newo

Cadet

Ye most probably your are right but he could find nothing else bad on the computer.. I will also try to buy some octane boost maybe to improve the petrol as we only get 1 grade of petrol here back home..

Thanks

Redneck Yacht Club

Seaman Apprentice

Did you buy the boat with the motor on it, from the dealership?
Or did ya buy just the motor from the dealership?
Did they put in the water and test the problem? Or tried testing it on a hose?
Did they check all sensor readings? Is the trottle cam adjusted right?

I think your dealership is blowing ya off...........:mad:
1. Water in the fuel will set an alarm and log an fault.
2. Fuel/air readings are good (they say), did they check vacum? What was readings?
3. If it didn't beep on the smartcraft, its not going to log a fault.

I would take back and demand better answers, if you bought the boat with motor on it.

newo

Cadet

I bought the motor from the dealership seperate then the boat.. They did test the boat in the water yes and they did hook up the computer which i imagine they checked all sensor readings on it.. i was present but dont really understand..

Im sure they checked fuel and air pressure but not sure if that has to do with vacum.. and what is the throttle cam?? he did try to adjust the throttle position but it seemed ok and the problem was not coming from there..

Smartcraft gauges mark no alarms or fault.. Im going to wait for the fuel filter now and let you know how it goes.. hope the dealer is right hehe!!

new engine, old boat....Did you inspect the fuel line and connections?.....has the priming bulb been replaced recently.....fuel line may be losing prime.

newo

Cadet

The boat is 1 year old.. I have changed primer and fuel line last weekend just incase there was a leak but did not improve anything.

Somebody suggested they i should change the plugs and go for a hotter plug, Could this help or am i just throwing away money?? the plugs i have at the moment are not more then 10 hours old as i have changed them trying to solve this problem..

VIP_Hoser

Recruit

I have had problems with the air/breather line filling up with fluid on my gas tank (built-in). Simple to correct - simply blow out the line. I have an older VIP boat with a 140 mercury outboard.

Symptoms included motor dying when throttling up (take off or trying to go fast) and or sputtering. Boat would stall sometimes during idle but we could often troll without problems. The problem most often occurs when lots of gas is required. This was intermittent as the breather line could clear itself (drain back into tank, evaporation) and the extent of the symtom depends on how full/plugged the breather line was.

The line filling with fluid happens in 2 ways. In my boat it would fill with gas when we over-fill the tank, and in stormy weather (high waves), water would enter from outside the boat into the breather hose. So, it can plug with gas or water. The latter also led to having water in the gas tank, rust on plugs and distributor etc. Our breather hose is long and winding, causing traps where fluid can collect. We have shortened the hose and put it up higher to prevent fluid traps. We are more careful when putting in fuel (just a bit less than full) and we will monitor this in waves (harder to prevent and prefer not to have water drain into tank).

I would be very curious to know if this helps with your problem or if it helps anyone else with similar symptoms.

newo

Cadet

Air breather seems to be ok and it only stalls at idle. Last time i went on the boat it seemed to work a bit better did not stall all the time just did it twice.. Could this be dirt in the injectors or what.. any ideas?

craiglucas

Recruit

I have the same issue, spent money and time at dealers can't find issue! Did u ever figure this out?

Hi I have a Mercury optimax 200 year 2006. I have a problem it is stalling at idle.. Could some one help with this problem.. I have checked my fuel lines and dont seem to have any problem with does.. Any suggestions on what could it be.. THanks